View Single Post
Old 08-20-2015, 10:54 PM
Newly Joined

10 yr Member
Newly Joined

10 yr Member
Default Unusual root canal

I thought I would post here because I'm so frustrated and need another opinion.

Almost two years ago I had my jaw broken by being kicked by a horse and had two plates put in to put it back together. The oral surgeon ended up accidentally putting screws thought the roots of teeth 28 and 29. Since then I've had 4 root canals due to internal and external resorption from my accident.

My problem recently has been with 29.

I started to experience serious pain in that tooth in June, and so I went to the endodontist to see if he could do something to help me. He told me it was impossible to root canal around the screw, recommended to have that screw backed out and then have an apicoectomy on the part of the tooth from the screw hole down. He then proceeded to root canal the top part of the tooth above the screw, and told me to schedule the screw removal with the oral surgeon.

In July the oral surgeon removed one of the plates and its four screws. Not only did the pain not go away, I immediately had the worst tooth ache of my life in tooth 29. The oral surgeon recommended I talk to the endodontist to see if it was possible to finish the tooth canal or perform the apico. He didn't want to pull it. At the time I had no idea what an apico was, so I scheduled an appointment with the endodontist.

The endodontist told me it was impossible to do a root canal due to the hole now in the tooth and the fact the anatomy of the canals had changed. He then proceeded to tell me my now horrible tooth ache, which is currently forcing me to live on pain killers, wasn't from the screw removal but was because I grind me teeth. He then ground down the sealant on the tooth, which made me cry it was so painful, so that it wouldn't touch the top tooth and told me to go home for a week and call him if I was still in pain, and he might consider doing the apico then.

Seriously.

At this point I'm ready to pull this tooth out by myself. There is absolutely no way I'm doing an apico. None. The procedure sounds horrible, and I've already had enough horrible dental trauma in my life.

How safe is it to have a tooth that's only had a root canal half way with a hole in it? I can't believe that it would be a smart thing to leave this tooth like this. I feel like it's only a matter of time before it becomes infected. Should I get a second opinion from someone else? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Casey707 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote