Thread: Low ferritin
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2015, 11:25 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

My ferritin was 13 two years ago, and I was symptomatic. I had horribly strong heart palpitations that I'd never experienced before, and I had zero endurance. I remember going on hikes and feeling like I'd keel over. And going up hills, I'd be tingling all over. I just thought I was out of shape. I also was losing my hair without noticing it. My hairdresser noticed the regrowth months later and said I'd had a "major shed."

I think a double-red blood donation sent me into that state. It didn't help matters that I had also recently switched to Centrum Silver (with less iron than normal vitamins). Considering I was still menstruating, that was really stupid.

After tearing up my digestive tract with iron supplements, I started eating more iron-rich food and cooking in ironware. I've been at 18 for the past two years now. My PCP isn't concerned how low it is, but the gastroenterologist I just saw for something unrelated wasn't thrilled with it. With the PN to boot, he tested me for celiac disease...which was negative.

Interestingly, my serum iron spiked too high last year on my iron rich diet, but my ferritin was still just 18. I resumed donating blood, and my serum iron was normal this year while my ferritin was still 18. Maybe I have the defective peptide MrsD mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukesmom View Post
I recently saw an endocrinologist for hair loss, fatigue, cold intolerance and brittle nails. I also have PN. She found my thyroid and hormone levels normal but ferritin was 16(normal range is 10-160).
janieg is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
DejaVu (08-21-2015), Lukesmom (08-21-2015), mrsD (08-21-2015)