View Single Post
Old 08-20-2015, 11:28 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Healthgirl View Post
Unless for some reason the copper is being absorbed into organs such as the liver- so would be undetectable in blood? IDK, I'm trying to figure out why I'm deficient also. I thought supplementing was making me worse at first too, so I was only taking 2 mg a day. I am now taking 4 and my numbers are finally in the very low normal range.
Hi Healthgirl

If you are getting too much zinc (either through diet and/or supplementation) this can cause your copper levels to drop. The important test number is the zinc:copper ratio. It should be a ratio of around 0.7:1.0

Watch for hidden zinc in other supplements eg: multivitamins, combo supplements etc. The tolerable upper intake of zinc recommended by the NIH for an adult is 40mg of Elemental Zinc daily. Taking excess zinc over a long period can cause toxicity. Elemental zinc is the amount of actual zinc mineral in a compound eg zinc sulphate (many supplements only list the compounded amount so may not reflect the actual amount of Elemental Zinc.)

Sorry if this isn't very clear. Here's a link to the NIH website that has more info. You may also find other info about low copper by searching the site:

https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Zi...ofessional/#h2

Hope this helps and you get some answers soon.
bluesfan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
en bloc (08-21-2015)