Thread: newbie
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2015, 01:36 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default newbie

Hi. I am a 51 year old female who developed a chronic and persistent cough in Dec 2013 after a bout with the flu.Since then, I have had a multitude of negative investigations and consults. In July of 2014, I started dropping things after a prolonged period of carrying (like a water bottle during a walk), pain in my elbow and forearm and I noted a tingling kind of sensation near my "sit bones". The cough persisted and became so bad that I could no longer carry on a conversation. I was given "special projects" at work to accommodate in hopes of improvement. I am a RN, working in a case manager role in the mental health field. This requires much conversation. By Dec, 2014, it was suggested I take the month off to rest my voice, which I did. I returned for 2 days in Jan and was encouraged from there to apply for LTD as I was showing no improvement. I continued with the consults and investigations. In March, I developed a slightly drooping eyelid. I was referred to Neurology. Since that time, I experience swelling in my hands and rt arm with fatigue or much use. I have discomfort in my neck, ribcage arms and both legs fatigue significantly with much use. My eye continues to droop. I am not able to do much of what I used to enjoy (hiking, biking, running or even long walks). I have difficulty cleaning my home without several breaks. I cannot tolerate massage tx as I stiffen as oppose to relax. If I push myself, I not only become fatigued, but that eve or the next day is quite miserable for me. I cannot garden for more than 10-15 minutes, etc. I have no stamina at all. I used to have several really good days, where I would wonder if maybe there was really nothing wrong with me (until I felt unwell again), but now am fortunate to have 24 hours without probs. I was denied LTD and have appealed as things are progressing. I saw Neuro in June and was tested for Myasthenia Gravis. All labs are negative and EMG studies were normal. MY GP states that there is a 20% chance of negative results while still having the disease and suggested I start a trial of Mestinon. I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this or if it is likely that I do not have MG? All symptoms lead that way, but no clinical findings confirm. Neuro will see me again in 6 months as I did have questionable lesions on my brain MRI- MS ruled out. I am becoming quite concerned re my health and now my income..input appreciated.
mj is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Darlene (08-22-2015), DejaVu (08-22-2015), Lara (08-22-2015), tamiloo (08-25-2015)