View Single Post
Old 08-23-2015, 02:06 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

These same questions have been asked by the same individuals and answered many times.

I spent endless hours showing the physics behind impact forces. The force or impact formulas are not questionable. The forces required to cause injury to the brain are known.

If we want to move forward, we need to build our faith in the facts so we can eliminate those issues and focus on the core issues.

A. Fact, a rice filled bag, furniture pillow, foam filled ball, etc. will not cause a concussion, even when thrown at a high speed.

B. Fact, our heightened startle response can cause symptoms that can last for hours or even days.

C. Fact, anxiety can cause existing concussion symptoms to magnify.

D. Fact, A startle response, if allowed to resolve itself, will resolve in a few hours. If it takes longer, having a way to assist such recovery will be helpful.

E. Fact, Taking on a belief that A is not true can cause anxiety to outlast the resolution of the startle response.

That said, we have choices to make as we consider the facts. If we cannot accept A as a fact, we need to find help to accept A as a fact. Otherwise, we will get stuck in a never ending and self-perpetuating roller coaster of symptoms.

The "yes, but" argument will be counter to our recovery. (Yes, but, the rice bag was thrown at a high speed and I felt symptoms after getting hit.)

There is a saying in medicine, "When you hear hoof beats, think horses, not zebras." This means, when there is a symptom, consider the most logical explanation rather than the most far fetched. A concussion from a fast thrown rice bag is far fetched. A startle response from getting hit with a rice bag is logical.

Believe me, I know how anxiety can cause a situation to be perceived as much more than any reality or logic can support.

If we keep feeding the small impacts/bumps monster, it will only get bigger until it starts to consume us.

A fool does not learn from their own experiences.
A smart man learns from their own experiences.
A wise man learns from OTHERS experiences.

Hopefully, people will strive to be wise and settle for being smart if they struggle to learn from others.
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
TheNorwegian (08-24-2015)