View Single Post
Old 08-25-2015, 11:52 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default Help! Post extraction don't know what to do

Ugh!!! Just spent 30 minutes writing this post and the site automatically refreshed and erased it. Here goes take two..

I just had my #19 molar surgically extracted by a dentist. I was also given a bone graph as well. I had previously had a root canal on that tooth about 10 years ago. For about a month leading up to the extraction, I'd had a small amount of pain which we had mistaken for a sinus infection. I was on antibiotics for several weeks prior to having the tooth removed. I was also having headaches in the temple area.

The procedure went well, no pain, but the doctor had to cut the tooth out in pieces. I remember seeing the bottom portion of the tooth and it looked black and white (kind of disgusting). I noticed I felt a bit better after the extraction with soreness in the normal places.

About 5 days post op I returned for a check up still complaining of headaches. The doctor took some images and found I had one tooth (upper molar same side) that needed a root canal. We went ahead and did that and without complications. The doctor told me the headaches could be from the muscles in my head readjusting to my new bite.

Its been two weeks since the extraction and I'm still suffering from headaches in the temple area and soreness at the extraction site. The doctor has looked at the extraction site and says things are healing normally (no signs of infection). However, when I came off the antibiotics this past weekend, the extraction site became sore again and the headaches increased (also light headed). I got an overall feeling of being run down (no fever) and my jaw felt like it was swelling up and I got a slightly sore throat. I went right back on the antibiotics and one day later an feeling better.

I have four days of antibiotics left and am petrified to go off them. Not sure what is going on but I'm beginning to lose faith in my dentist.

Is it normal to have these types of headaches (just above the ear, referring to the eyes and the back of the head)? Also, if the extraction site is healing as its supposed to is it possible to still have an infection? So very confused.
newseditor44 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Wiix (08-25-2015)