View Single Post
Old 08-27-2015, 08:49 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Winter View Post
My doctor told me Small Fiber Neuropathy is just a newer more specific diagnosis that they can make of the sickness. The skin punch biopsy has allowed them to do that. Years ago they would've simply called it paresthesia, dysesthesia or even mild fibromyalgia. I believe most neuros don't know the extreme pain involved with SNF as a result. Just treat the symptoms with supplementation and medicine if absolutely necessary. Key thing is, regardless eye on the future and eye on healing yourself.
Mrs. Redman: I have axonal nerve swelling discovered on a punch biopsy that the neuro and pathologist said was of "unclear clinical significance." The fiber densities were in normal range. However, the neuro has said that based on the type of symptoms I have and the widespread nature of them that I have a central sensitization syndrome. You can read my other posts if you'd like a full description, but I burn from head to toe and from inside out. I also have severe muscle pain and joint pain. But no diagnostic tender points typical of fibro. Fibromyalgia is a central nervous system sensitization; but you could have SFN too. In fact the prolonged SFN pain could trigger the central sensitization of pain. That's what they think may have happened with me. It's really hard when the best of the best doctors scratch their head about your case. Anyway, I've arrived at a place where THE PAIN IS THE DISEASE. It took a long time for me to get to that understanding, and it has helped me be open to more aggressive pain management.
heb1212 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote