View Single Post
Old 08-27-2015, 02:27 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

erinbard,

Anytime you take an antibiotic your immune system becomes comprised as the medication kills the healthy bacteria in your intestines. This predisposes the user to various degrees of intestinal upset that can lead to an intestinal infection. Unnecessary use of antibiotics can also cause someone to become resistant to that species of medication. Which means when then happens, if you were to need that particular antibiotic at some other time it may not be effective. So it is not wise to go on an antibiotic unless it is absolutely necessary and it is not wise to stay on the medication any longer than necessary.

Just so the time frame is clear .... The problem with your tooth did not begin when your symptoms began. The problem started the day you had the root canal done as the tooth has been infected since then. It was just asymptomatic until the infection spread beyond the tooth.

I know this is a hard decision to make and the timing is not good as you are going on holiday. If your intention is to have the tooth removed then it may be best to do that asap so that it has some time to heal before you go away. Of course the choice is yours and hopefully all will be fine with whatever you decide to do.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinbard View Post
Thank you for your kind reply. I am slowly accepting pulling the tooth is the best option. But I'd rather wait until im back from my holiday. Is 6 weeks waiting too long? Although having said that ive already been putting it off since April. What is the longest you can be on antibiotics ?

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote