Thread: Shingles!!!
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2015, 03:17 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaVu View Post
Have been hearing of many people having prolonged outbreaks, as in 2-3 months of agony. These seem like quite long episodes.

I am not sure if these particular people have used the anti-viral drugs. I think I would take them if I had a severe shingles outbreak.

I hear so much controversy about the shingles vaccine.
I am interested in the science on this.
Thanks, Kiwi!

Wiix, I don't blame you for not wanting them again!

DejaVu
People who have severe shingles for that long are expected to get PHN as a complication, which is severe pain after shingles. From ncbi, they dint specify the adverse effects, but i would assume it would be a zoster, or a chickenpox infection. Its generally for people who are at risk for shingles, like older people.
sometimes shingles happen so quickly, theres not enough time to get to the doctor and get medication. its usually within the first 3 days of the first blisters, but since it looks like a benign condition at first, diagnosis is usually delayed. I waited a whole week before getting medication, but it was pretty late by then. Most likely people do get antivirals like acyclovir, but it was past the 3 day mark, and thats where full blown shingles is.
Neuroproblem is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
DejaVu (08-28-2015)