View Single Post
Old 08-28-2015, 06:43 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Yes.

Again, there aren't a lot of papers/studies that I can point to, but anecdotally, through this board and various other groups, there does seem to be a somewhat higher incidence of length-dependent neuropathy among the taller people, though this incidence seems to be more pronounced, from what I understand, among non-diabetics. ("Short" diabetic and impaired glucose tolerance people seem to get neuropathy symptoms around the same rate as "taller" ones do, however that is defined.)

I think northerngal has the right idea about the mechanism--those who are taller have longer nerves that might be more prone to compromise, whether through compressive or circulatory effects,than people whose nerve communications have shorter distances to travel.

I also suspect taller people may have more tendency to spinal problems and nerve root compression there, which can of course contribute to neural symptoms, and may be hard to distinguish from more peripheral symptoms. One orthopedist I know who treats a lot of athletes (he's a consultant to the NY Jets) speaks about the this tendency; he's said it's easier to compress/herniate discs, for example, when the spine is longer.
glenntaj is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lukesmom (08-28-2015), northerngal (09-01-2015), Susanne C. (08-28-2015)