View Single Post
Old 08-28-2015, 02:05 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

ELna,

That procedure is done in extreme cases where there is a large opening from the jaw bone into the sinus. It is not done on small perforations. I think the first attempt at closing the opening was ineffective for whatever reason, possibly poor technique or inexperience or the dentist did not realize the actual severity of the opening. Also, some ora-antral fistulas do not actually form completely until a few days post op. Which could also be a factor in your case. These communications between the mouth and the sinus can be very complicated and difficult to treat especially if there is other pathology going on in or near that area.

From the way you have described this, I feel it would have been unethical for him not to attempt to close the opening. But I was not there and did not see the actual OAC or OAF. I do think he should have explained the situation to you much better prior to doing the surgery and in that explanation told you why this opening occurred in the first place. I think part of your frustration is over the way you were treated at the beginning by not just him but the other dentist as well. Which is totally understandable.

Here is a link that describes the procedure. It's a bit technical but you may get something worthwhile out of it.
http://www.medfak.ni.ac.rs/ASN/BROJ-...ull%20text.htm

When you say it has healed on it's own. Are you referring to the hole in the gum tissue and/or the hole in the bone into the sinus?

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELna View Post
Oh no I think he could have and should have left it alone there and then since there's been a closing attempt just 2 days prior to that and the area was too damaged for anything further to do any good. Plus, he made me have the operation by scaring me how it would NEVER heal on its own and how I would need a major sinus surgery if it was left open.
Not true. The perforation was larger than ever before 5x5 mm 2 weekys post-surgery then after it recovered from whatever damage he did it it started to heal on its own and is almost fully closed - no air movement only some water still gets to wet my nose. But it DID heal on its own as it might have in the first place if it was left alone.
Plus, he said I might not be able to get an implant in the area but the the fact that I'll be ruined or that I'll be unable to have a denture ever was never mentioned because I think he didn't know what he was doing. No, there did not have to be am attempt to close it there and then and this way. If the procedure is knowingly so difficult with no guarantees should not I had been given a CHOICE? He acted like it was nothing.
There was nothing else brewing in the area only what he put there. The fistula is closing on its own now after the site recovered from the totally useless but absolutely destroying procedure he decided to force on me without my knowledge.

There wasn't a severe communication, it was a perforation that happens, left alone, I would be over the whole thing.
The fact that it might have been his first W-R lobe might have not helped as I found out along with how quickly he left his practice AND the country for good 2 weeks after the operation.

So yes, maybe it's all my fault and my body's fault but I surely would have said no if I knew the risks and the certainties. I'm not worried about the communication because I trust it will fully heal on its own now, I'm worried about the damage done.

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote