View Single Post
Old 08-28-2015, 03:05 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Nukuspot,

You are not going to see anything visually with tooth #7 unless it develops swelling or a fistula. The problem is inside the tooth.

The symptoms you describe sound like inflamed nerve pain. You have a small area of open canal with nerve tissue in it near the apex of this tooth. The area above the apex with that bump may be where bacteria is draining from the canal inside of the tooth. As I mentioned earlier you can track the (dark) periodontal ligament from the bump on the top of the root down it's right side near the canine. Both xrays of this tooth show a prominence of the periodontal ligament which generally indicates inflammation. The symptom of feeling like the tooth has grown may be another indication of an inflamed ligament because as the ligament swells, it pushes this tooth downward. Also the bone above #7 is darker than normal which could indicate inflammation/bacteria and/or some irregular change in the bone. That splinter sensation you feel is inflammation.

It would not be unusual to feel pain in the palate and near the canine if that is where the bacteria is moving to.

I feel so badly that you are suffering so much with this. I agree that ozone is not going to subside or cure this problem, unfortunately. I think the problem is not new, it's just become symptomatic. You could be clenching or grinding your teeth which will exacerbate the inflammation. But wearing the guard at this stage is going to aggravate it.

I think you know you are getting down to the wire to make a choice between rct and extraction. I know neither is what you want to do but you cannot go on like this much longer. Anything I would suggest to help with the pain would only be minimal help at this point and with no much duration. I would also NOT use any toothpaste with SLS in it because you are prone to mouth ulcers and SLS is a known trigger for those in some people. Just brush with coconut oil and a pinch of baking soda.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukuspot View Post
Hi Bryanna,

It's me again, Nukuspot.

I cancelled the root canal for #7. I got two ozone injections, one a week, for the last two weeks. I have not seen any improvement of the tooth pain, and my dentist told me this week that he doesn't see the need to have anymore as it doesn't seem to be helping. Most likely (he thinks) the pain is not from anything ozone can fix.

The pain was manageable with positive thinking for awhile, but now it has spread mainly to the back of my tooth, the side of the tongue/palate. It feels like it is burned or on fire. I know it cannot be from an actual burn because I have been putting ice in all my drinks/soup and letting hot food cool to room temperature due to the pain in #7. From the very base where my tooth hits my palate, all the way into my whole right side of my palate is so painful I am finding it hard to now talk or eat. I (gently) touched with the tip of a toothpick, and it seems to be around the back of #7 and the cainine tooth next to it. It feels almost like a splinter is stuck under the gum but nothing is there.

I have had multiple family members look at the area with flashlights and they all say it doesn't look any different than the other side. It's not red or swollen. It feels like it should be bright red and blistered from the pain but it looks normal.

I called my dentist again and asked what I should do. I cannot live like this. He thinks maybe it is from clenching my teeth!? I am not able to wear my upper splint (it is so uncomfortable and it pushes right on #7) so I called the TMJ doctor and left a message to ask if I could try a lower splint. However that process is going to take weeks---with getting the impressions, ordering the splint, adjusting it, etc. And I don't even know if it will work!

When I speak I feel like #7 is hitting the lower teeth. It doesn't make it more painful, it's just weird. Like as if it suddenly grew a little? I am trying not to talk as a result.

My dentist says when I get back from my 2 week trip to see my family he can see if he can adjust my bite on that side. He still thinks that a root canal should be the last resort to stopping the pain and I agree. But I seriously cannot keep going on like this. I am so worried about these next two weeks on my trip.

I am taking the herbal antinflammatories and have doubled my dose of fish oil (which my ND said was the best thing to try to relieve inflammation.)

I thought it was working but it's gotten worse since the last ozone injection. I wonder if the ozone could have caused damage? The dentist said there were no side effects, that the worst thing that could happen was that it just didn't work, and it was good for the body anyway.

If you have any advice for either what might be causing this pain into my palate or any pain relief options, I would greatly appreciate it. I can barely eat or focus on anything that is not the pain.

I am even using sensitive teeth toothpaste (Toms of Maine) which I normally don't use because it has SLS but I am just desperate to try anything even remotely natural at this point.

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
nukuspot (08-28-2015)