Thread: Shingles!!!
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2015, 07:40 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuroproblem View Post
People who have severe shingles for that long are expected to get PHN as a complication, which is severe pain after shingles. From ncbi, they dint specify the adverse effects, but i would assume it would be a zoster, or a chickenpox infection. Its generally for people who are at risk for shingles, like older people.
sometimes shingles happen so quickly, theres not enough time to get to the doctor and get medication. its usually within the first 3 days of the first blisters, but since it looks like a benign condition at first, diagnosis is usually delayed. I waited a whole week before getting medication, but it was pretty late by then. Most likely people do get antivirals like acyclovir, but it was past the 3 day mark, and thats where full blown shingles is.
I hope people are allowed a choice to take antivirals, even if past a 3 day mark. These cases running 3-4, or 6, months deserve the option of attempting an intervention. (I would seek treatment at any stage, but then my immune system is a little aberrant anyway.)

With HSV-1 and HSV-2, as far as I know, treatments are not withheld if past the initial 72 hours. Some people have some prolonged attacks of these two strains of Herpes viruses, as well.

I can add anecdotal observations re: people with frequent HSV-1 and HSV-2 outbreaks having fewer outbreaks if/when they add L-lysine to their daily intake and/or stop intake of sources which increase arginine (colas, nuts, etc.)
(Lysine and arginine intake must be in balance to minimize outbreaks. However, these two amino acids are not the only factors determining outbreaks. Stress, immuno-suppressants, diet, etc.)

I am concerned with so many people having such prolonged episodes; prolonged episodes seem to be more common than not these days.

DejaVu
DejaVu is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Kitt (08-28-2015)