Thread: Losing Hope
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2015, 09:48 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlaymon View Post
I was diagnosed with RSD in June, after arthroscopic knee surgery. I can tolerate the pain, numbness, and burning. But what I'm finding it difficult to tolerate is barely being able to walk. My knee feels "locked" to the lateral position, making me unable to bend my leg when I walk. Sitting and driving are difficult, as well. I've quit therapy, per my surgeon, and am seeing a pain management Dr. I am on Neurontin and wear a Clonidine patch on my knee. I have had a bone scan, which confirmed the diagnosis and just had my 2nd lumbar sympathetic block on Wednesday. I don't feel much of a difference. My quad muscle looks like it is wasting away compared to the other one. I can't seem to get a straight answer if the nerve blocks are supposed to help with mobility. I'm feeling depressed and worried that this may be as good as it gets. I hate going in public, because I feel the stares that I get from people. I'm not sure what else can be done, if anything. I have two more blocks scheduled over the next two weeks. What then?? Desperate for answers..
Tlaymon.
I was diagnosed in April following a mid foot/ankle sprain/avulsion fracture last Nov. It's been a long 9 months, much of it since April spent chasing my tail with no results. I too am sometimes embarrassed in public, especially at work where everyone has watched and expected me to get well. This illness is very difficult to explain. I also sometimes have a hard time seeing myself as handicapped and others viewing me this way. I care less and less about this though as time progresses.
I had 3 sympathetic nerve blocks throughout May that did did not work. I gave up hope partly because my doctor seemed to. I finally started my PT again but not really thinking I would have a good result. I started on Lyrica given by my ortho MD, since the PM doc didn't want to try any meds. After many months on a cane/walker/wheelchair I am finally walking on my own again. I didn't think it was possible. I can drive short distance now too.
Everyone has a different path to follow with this and what works for one does not for all. Keep moving! It will be backwards, sideways and sometimes forward, but don't stop and as hard as it gets try not to give up. Also have a good counselor to help with grief issues and have an appt. w/ a different PM MD. Best wishes to you. MAC
mama mac is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
BioBased (08-29-2015), DejaVu (09-01-2015), MissyJ (08-29-2015), tlaymon (08-29-2015)