View Single Post
Old 08-29-2015, 01:01 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Nukuspot,

I am going to re post some of your thread and will reply in bold type. I am going to try to explain to you the reason why you are being told the things you are.

<<The dentist who would pull it and do the oral surgery says that I should hold on to both this tooth and #11 as long as I can. They both do not have the best bone for an implant. #11 especially because of the prior surgeries, but #7 too because the roots are so blunted it did not stimulate great bone growth. He says that an implant in that space might work---But it might fail either sooner or later and in that case, I am stuck.>>

THE ONLY REASON YOU ARE BEING TOLD TO HANG ON TO THESE TEETH IS BECAUSE THE OPTIONS TO REPLACE THEM ARE NOT IDEAL AND YOU ARE GIVING THE IMPRESSION (UNDERSTANDABLY) THAT YOU DO NOT WANT TO REMOVE THESE TEETH AND DEAL WITH REPLACEMENT ISSUES AT THIS TIME. AT THE SAME TIME, YOU GIVE THE DISTINCT IMPRESSION (UNDERSTANDABLY) THAT YOU ARE CONCERNED ABOUT KEEPING THESE TEETH AS YOU KNOW THEY CAN AFFECT YOUR OVERALL HEALTH AND YOU DON'T WANT TO DEAL WITH MORE WIDESPREAD PROBLEMS DOWN THE ROAD. I AGREE THAT DENTAL IMPLANTS IN EITHER 7 OR 11 AREA ARE VERY RISKY AND FOR THE REASONS THAT HE GAVE TO YOU.

<< He says I cannot get a bridge because of the blunted roots next to both of these teeth, and both he and I agree that a removable tooth would be a very poor outcome for a 35 year old, especially with it having to put pressure on the blunted root teeth adjacent.>>

I AGREE THAT YOUR ANTERIOR TEETH ARE NOT RESOURCEFUL ANCHORS FOR A BRIDGE DUE TO THE ROOT RESORPTION. ALSO DRILLING INTO THOSE ANTERIOR TEETH TO PUT CROWNS ON THEM CAN CAUSE ENOUGH TRAUMA TO INFLAME THE PULP AND CAUSE INFECTION. REGARDING A REMOVABLE APPLIANCE, NO THOSE ANTERIOR TEETH ARE NOT IDEAL AS ANCHOR TEETH FOR THAT APPLIANCE EITHER. BUT IN ALL HONESTY THIS OPTION IS NOT BEING RECOMMENDED BECAUSE YOU FEEL STRONGLY THAT YOU ARE TOO YOUNG TO HAVE IT. AGAIN, COMPLETELY UNDERSTANDABLE. BUT WHAT IF BOTH 7 AND 11 WERE TO ABSCESS, WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

<<It is not a great situation. He advised me to not extract unless pathology was shown on the xray. I mentioned the bump on the xray and he said that that did not make him think of infection. He said that he feels it is a thickened periodontal ligament from years of biting on a tooth that is so blunted and cannot take the pressure.>>

THE PERIODONTAL LIGAMENT IS INFLAMED AND YOU CAN TRACE THE INFLAMMATION FROM THE SMALL VISIBLE CANAL, OUT THE APEX AND DOWN ALONG THE DISTAL SIDE OF THE ROOT TO THE ALVEOLAR CREST. THIS IS WHY YOU HAVE PAIN IN YOUR GUM ON THAT TOOTH IN BETWEEN IT AND THE CANINE. THE LIGAMENT IS ATTACHED TO THE ROOT SURFACE OF THE TOOTH. IT IS THE LAYER BETWEEN THE TOOTH AND THE BONE. INFLAMMATION IS A DEFENSE MECHANISM WHEN THERE ARE MANY NEUTROPHILS PRESENT. NEUTROPHILS ARE WHITE BLOOD CELLS. THESE ARE BLOOD CELLS THAT PROTECT THE BODY AGAINST INFECTION. THEY ARE ALSO THE FIRST CELLS THAT CONGREGATE AT THE SITE OF INFECTION. SO THERE MAY NOT MAY NOT BE INFECTIOUS BACTERIA PRESENT AT THIS TIME.

<<He looked at both the recent and the 2011 xray and said that he sees no change so he is not thinking it is a bacterial cause. This is most likely why the ozone did not work, because ozone would have been effective against bacteria but not nerve pain. He said the same as you, inflamed nerve.>>

BUT THERE IS CHANGE. YOU RECENTLY HAD SUDDEN ONSET OF PAIN THAT HAS NOT GONE AWAY. OZONE CANNOT REACH INSIDE OF THE TOOTH TO REDUCE THE INFLAMMATION. IT OBVIOUSLY DID NOT HAVE MUCH AFFECT ON THE INFLAMED LIGAMENT AND PERHAPS THAT'S BECAUSE THE INFLAMMATION IS STEMMING FROM THE INFLAMED NERVE TISSUE INSIDE THE TOOTH. DOING THE RC WITH OZONE MAY OR MAY NOT BRING YOU SOME TEMPORARY RELIEF. TEMPORARY BEING THE KEY WORD. YOU CERTAINLY CANNOT GO ON WITH THIS PAIN.

<<Both dentists have advised me to try whatever I can to see if I can get it to calm down (the nerve). If I cannot, the one dentist advised doing the root canal with ozone. He said that he does not usually advise them but it might be the best choice in my situation if I could not live with the tooth anymore. He also said interestingly that since the tooth is so calcified, the issue of dentinal tubules harboring bacteria might not be an issue, because my body has effectively sealed the tubules off.>>

BECAUSE THE DENTIN TUBULES ARE MICROSCOPIC, NO ONE CAN TELL YOU IF THEY ARE CALCIFIED OR NOT. EVEN IF THEY OR SOME OF THEM ARE, YOU STILL HAVE TO REMEMBER THE ISSUES WITH RETAINING A NON VITAL ROOT CANALED TOOTH.

<<My general dentist who probably hates root canals as much as you do, has said that he feels that I should try 100% everything I can to settle the nerve. Being that there is no pathology on the xray, I could wait indefinitely and work on it to heal.>>

IF YOU ARE NOT GOING TO DO THE RC OR EXTRACTION, THEN I REALLY DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU CAN TRY TO RELIEVE THE INFLAMMATION. ANYTHING HOMEOPATHICALLY WOULD HAVE TO BE DONE CONSISTENTLY AND YOU WOULD HAVE TO HAVE THE EXACT RIGHT FORMULAS. I DISAGREE ABOUT THE INDEFINITE COMMENT.

<< I leave on my trip with my bottles of antinflammatory supplements in 2 days. I will be gone for 2 weeks. When I get back I have an appointment with him for an occlusal adjustment, he will see if I have any points of heavy contact on that tooth and gently file it down. He seems to think that will help along with getting a lower guard, and not using my upper night guard.>>

THIS MAY HELP TEMPORARILY.

<<I am happy to have a plan but I am concerned I will not be able to live with the pain this long. I will just have to take one day at a time and see how it goes. The interesting thing was that it was doing a little better the day before my last ozone injection and now it's so bad again especially the burning and gum pain. He says that ozone could not have exacerbated the pain. So I guess it was a coincidence. I can only hope it can get back to that point it was at before the ozone again during my trip. Right now it is about a 5 on a 1-10 pain scale. I think if if gets higher I will have to call it quits with trying to save this tooth. But if I can get it back to even a 4 or a 3, I can live with it for awhile longer.>>

THE OZONE INJECTION COULD HAVE IRRITATED THE ALREADY INFLAMED LIGAMENT SIMPLY BECAUSE THE LIGAMENT IS TENDER TO BEGIN WITH AND COULD BE MORE INFLAMED THAN ANYONE REALIZES. I HOPE THE PAIN DOES SUBSIDE WHILE YOU ARE AWAY... I REALLY DO!!

<<I am stopping the Toms sensitivity toothpaste and have gone back to my normal toothpaste (Coral White). I will try just coconut oil too.>>

GOOD IDEA.

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote