View Single Post
Old 08-30-2015, 10:36 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudest_mama View Post
I was diagnosed with Parkinson's 11 years ago at the age of 44. I am now 55. During those 11 years, I have been on the same, exact medicine ... as well as the same dosage (Mirapex 1.5 mg. three times a day and Trihexyphenadryl (or Artane) 1 mg. two times a day.

I was told, somewhere along the line, that once you start taking Sinemet (or Levadopa), you have between 5 and 10 years before the side effects of the medicine are almost worse than the disease itself. Does anyone know if this is true?

The reason I ask is because I am on the bubble of having to start Sinemet and I just got back from a seminar on Medical Cannabis that sounded promising. Under a separate category, I'll ask those who are currently taking legal Cannabis if they'd share their experiences with the drug.

Any insight into Cannabis is appreciated. Thanks!
are you thinking that the sinemet somehow makes permanent, damages to the brain and it brings on the side affects? there is lots of research disproving that belief. so if your're afraid to even try sinemet because you think it will cause irreversible damage/side affects you are wrong imho. but do what you want. don't you know anyone doing fine after 10years on sinemet? .i suggest you view this video.

http://www.cno.parkinson.ca/site/c.j...sons_Video.htm
parkinson's society central and northern arizpna
Dr. Eric Ahlskog
Peterborough Conference, October 2012

old timer, written at least 2 books on pd, initially talks about pd in general and history of L-DOPA, gets to the meat and potatoes around 17minutes into video.
also discusses agonists and azilect.
soccertese is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote