Old 08-30-2015, 08:07 PM
Magnate

10 yr Member
Magnate

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canifindagooddr View Post
Lit Love wrote:

If you want to claim BP and depression are serious impairments effecting your ability to engage in SGA (again, making $1090 per month) than you will be expected to have longitudinal records of intensive mental health treatment with a psychiatrist or a psychiatrist and a licensed therapist. Going once or twice a year for meds will be viewed by SS that your impairments are adequately be managed with medication alone.

^^^^I go at least four times a year.

Weekly appointments with a therapist would be the norm. Many people end up amending their Alleged Onset Date to when they started going to weekly therapy, for example.

^^^^Seriously?! Sounds like a co-dependency problem seeing a therapist EVERY week. Transference!!!

^^^^Doesn't the fact that I made it to step 5 mean something? I have 'significant impairments' don't I? Wasn't that determined by the SSA since I got to step 5? And since THEY said I can no longer do my former job -- that would infer that they think all is not well in the Land of Oz. Nothing personal, and I do appreciate your knowledge and your frankness -- but frankly, you make it sound as if nothing is 'wrong' with me. It appears to me that the SSA think otherwise. And, when they finally get some good records to look at regarding my SFN, that might get me past step 5. Your thoughts? Thanks.
Neither I nor SS is claiming that you don't have impairments. But do you have the medical documentation required to prove you can meet or equal a Listing Impairment, OR that you are incapable of working at the SGA level, performing any job? There are countless Americans that are able to work despite there disabilities.

You can't have it both ways. If your BP disorder is being managed sufficiently by medication alone, then it shouldn't be an issue with regards to your being able to work.

After a claimant is approved for SSDI, SS determines the likelihood of that person's condition improving enough to return to work. They then perform a Continuing Disability Review every 3,5 or 7 years. One of the most common reasons SSI/SSDI beneficiaries benefits are terminated, is their failure to continue treatment. So, not only will SS expect you to see a therapist in order to be approved for SSDI, they're going to expect you to continue that treatment while you continue to collect SSDI.

A month or so ago you said you were looking for someone to do "talk therapy" with. Why is suddenly not something you are willing to pursue? Has your psychiatrist ever suggested you need to see a therapist?

Read this: http://www.nolo.com/legal-encycloped...-disorder.html

Is it preferable to be at Step 5, rather than be denied at an earlier step? Sure, but Step 5 is by far the most complicated Step. SS routinely determines claimants can not perform prior work, but can perform other work. If you read the link I provided, it will explain some of it. Here it is again: http://www.socialsecurity.gov/oidap/...Evaluation.pdf

Applicants often assume the important part of SSDI approval is their diagnosis and their doctor's support. Those are just starting points. Medical documentation of your attempt to treat your impairments and your functional limitations can mean the difference between approval and denial.
LIT LOVE is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hopeless (08-30-2015)