View Single Post
Old 08-31-2015, 07:36 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
erinbard,

It's important to understand that the infection seen at the apex of the tooth did not occur over night. This tooth has been infected to some degree since either before or since the root canal was done. The bacteria has proliferated from the tooth and gone into the bone. That proliferation of bacteria is what is finally being picked up on the xray. This infection is going to continue to grow. At what pace, no one can tell you that. To wait and see means to not deal with it until you have a lot of pain, a major swelling or the infection has invaded the main branch of nerves that it is in close relation to. When any of that will occur, no one can tell you.

To have a tooth extracted that is near a main bundle of nerves is always risky because if the nerves become involved with the extraction process there could be temporary or permanent nerve damage. With that said, the spread of the infection increases the chance of the nerves becoming involved. Your dentist really should be informing you of that possibility as he is suggesting that you wait to "see what happens".

Is this dentist an oral surgeon? If not, then it may be wise to consult with an oral surgeon as that is the type of dentist who specializes in the removal of teeth that are close to the main bundles of nerves.

I'm sorry this is happening to you. I know this is scary, but waiting to see what happens may not be the best option. It's best to consult with an oral surgeon for their opinion and discussion about the nerve situation.

Bryanna
I am in the UK and was basically referred by my usual dentist to this new guy who has been giving me this advice, I am not sure if he is an oral surgeon but I was supposed to be referred to one of the hospitals but since they are so full I was referred to him if that makes sense. Another dentist (a completely different one - i like to have other opinions) suggested a second root canal - she could have just been seeing ££ in her eyes as this practice was half private so she stands to make money off of this. It doesnt even sound like a 2nd root canal is something that would even work at this point!! Would this dentist just be suggesting a 2nd root canal for my teeth even over my health just for her own ££?? or perhaps 3 months ago a second root canal was possible if they saw the infection on the xray? thing is my usual dentist recommended a 2nd root canal just last month before I was referred to this new guy via the hospital. It does sound like a 2nd root canal couldnt possibly work?
erinbard is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote