View Single Post
Old 09-01-2015, 06:10 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I had a similar experience last year. My previous hair dresser/personal friend left the state so I had to go to a new one.

With my previous hairdresser it was easy to explain my issues and she worked around by not washing my hair in the sink and being light with the clippers, I felt mostly fine after getting haircuts from her, although I did wait in between for much longer that I usually would. I think I only got 3 haircuts in the first year after my concussion.

I figured that I should be able to tolerate the haircuts just fine when I first went to the new lady, so I didn't tell her much except that I didn't want to wash my hair in the sink.
She used the clippers way more than I was used to but at the time I didn't think too much of it, except it felt like the buzzing from the clippers was very unpleasant against my skull.

I didn't feel anxious in the evening after the haircut, but started feeling much worse the next day, with many symptoms intensifying and some coming back that I haven't felt in a while.

It took me about a month to get back to the baseline, although my doctor obviously said that it's all anxiety. I really don't think it was anxiety, there's either something in the neck or ears maybe.

One of the nurses at the ENT's office who did my fistula surgery said that she's seen similar occurrences in people with BPPV, where the "crystals" get shaken up by the vibration, but BPPV was ruled out for me.

At any rate, now I ask the hair dresser to mostly use scissors for my haircuts, and only use the clippers to trim the hair.
June 2013 - accidentally bumped my head against a deck railing, and had a month-long setback.
November 2013 - drove to work after a big snowstorm and the roads were very rough, ended up having another setback.
2014 - Having setbacks after coughing/sneezing too much, or someone slapping me on the back, or any other significant jarring.
Feb 2014 - Started seeing Atlas Orthogonal chiro - most helpful doc so far.
June 2014 - Two months of physical/visual therapy - no noticeable improvement.
September 2014 - Diagnosed with Perilymph Fistula in right ear.
November 2014 - Fistula surgery (switched to left ear before the surgery after additional testing).
January 2016 - Quit work to "work" on figuring out PCS, so far it seems that eyes/vision issues are the most contributing factor, especially computer work.

Current symptoms are: inconsistent sleep patterns, headaches, vertigo/dizziness, anxiety/panic attacks, mental fog/problems with concentration, problems with computer screens.
russiarulez is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote