View Single Post
Old 09-02-2015, 05:16 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Default My husband had a TURP

Hi all.

We just came back from the urologist. My husband had the Turp last Wednesday and today they took out the catheter. He is able to pee much better than before when he had an enlarged prostate.

The pathology report was not in yet so we had to wait. When we were called in he asked Alan 'How are you peeing, how's the volume"? He looked at me (because I do all the medical answering) and I said 'His output is fine, he has no problem". I then said "what did you find out from the tissue samples". He said "As you know we send them out to pathology". I said 'What was the result"? He answered: ASAP. He explained that meant Atypical, blah blah. I looked that up when I got home so I know what that means.

Anyway he said (and he had photos of Alan's prostate which was 78% and it was BIG in those photos). He said "the pathologist is going to send the samples out to be stained". I said "why?" He said (speaking of himself) because I'm a paranoid jew and I want to make sure. His exact words. He was trying to make us laugh. I was not laughing. He said "This is probably nothing, but there is a small abnormality (which could be the beginning of a tumor, some irritation, but we have to do staining to find out) (I went home and looked up staining), Actually I looked up everything but there is SO MUCH information on men's prostate, you'd have to have a phd in this subject.

We are going back in two weeks. Alan is peeing just fine, has no pain. (Oh I asked the doctor what are the symptoms of prostate cancer and he said "There are no symptoms" I said "So how do you know how someone has prostate cancer? He said"Well, first we look at the PSA number and your husband's is 1 so that's why I'm not worried.

It seems there are real symptoms when it's found in the late stages.

The urologist said 'don't worry, because I'm not worried, your husband is fine". Is he telling me this so I don't go crazy or does Alan have the possibility of having prostate cancer. I read in an article that most men who have atypical cells EVENTUALLY develop prostate cancer. There is something like a 50/50 chance.

It's all about men and the eventuality of developing this kind of cancer. As they grow older.

This is what Rudy Giuliani had right? And they did seed implantation or something like that.

If we get the report back that he has early stages of this or pre-tumor (or whatever), what are our options. I couldn't get past the stuff I was reading so I couldn't read any more.

I know I don't have any written report from the pathologist. All I have are the words ASAP.

What do you think?

Alan initially had the enlarged prostate which the uro guy said was Benign etc. etc.

Now I hear the word ASAP.

And why does he have to go back in two weeks? Is this a normal follow up to the Turp procedure or does the urologist want to go over this report (when it comes in)? Alan wants me with him because (as he put it). You know how to understand this stuff.

So if any of you have experienced this, I'd love your input. Alan is not worried because he doesn't understand any of this. He just knows they took out his catheter, he does not have an enlarged prostate and as he puts it "when I have something to worry about, I'll worry about it'.

I am not like that, as you can ascertain. So any input is appreciated.

Thanks much
Mel

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
DejaVu (09-05-2015)