View Single Post
Old 09-03-2015, 02:40 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

LL, thank you for your kind and thoughtful remarks. They are very much appreciated. I have put my comments inside yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIT LOVE View Post
You really need to understand the concept of SGA (Significant Gainful Activity which is $1090 per month.)

"To be eligible for disability benefits, a person must be unable to engage in substantial gainful activity (SGA)."

^^^^So, if I am able to work, in order to still be egible for SSDI, the amount I make per month needs to be less than $1090 - correct? At this point in my life, I think that will be very easy to do. As you astutely note below, I am concerned about my ability to work due to the current state of my mental health and how it is made worse by SFN and the high dose of medicine to control the pain of SFN.

"Trial work period
After a person becomes eligible for disability benefits, the person may attempt to return to the work force. As an incentive, we provide a trial work period in which a beneficiary may have earnings and still collect benefits."

Underlined above is my emphasis.

https://www.socialsecurity.gov/oact/cola/sga.html

So long as your earnings remain under the SGA amount, you can pursue SSDI benefits.

^^^^OK. Thank you.

The term I believe you were looking for is Unsuccessful Work Attempt (UWA). Links: https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0411010145
https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0424005001

^^^Thank you for the links. I will look at them later today.

You should probably discuss the idea of attempting to work as a sub with your psychiatrist.

^^^I was thinking the same thing. Stress triggers BP. And to say the least, this is the most stressful time of my life. Current events. Upcoming events. And all the drama/events of the last year. I think my mind is currently toast. But . . . maybe what the 'toast' needs is to get in the 'toaster' just a bit more often (society/productive member vs. reclusive/isolated loner).

I will visit with him next week about these things. Additionally, I will secure the services of a therapist for at least 2x per month sessions. Weekly sessions if needed and if I can afford them. I have no income and I am living off of a small IRA (24K).

Additionally, my child support is based on a yearly salary of 48K. Now my yearly salary is O. My attorney and I are hoping for notes from my doctors about my current ability to earn income. My child support needs to be modified but first I need the documentation. The fact that I am on step 5 will not 'impress' the judge in the least. My attorney says we get doctor notes stating my inability to work for the next 12 months. Additionally the notes must be related to physical impairments - my attorney says the judge could care less about my mental issues. He says we do not go to court unless and until I get a doctor's note. If child support is not modified soon - my limited amount of cash will be gone within 8 months.

Are you sure your district would even use you as a sub at this point?

^^^I have pondered that myself. We do have a smaller school district about 15 miles down the road from me. Yes, they would call my references... But, I can't 'win' unless I enter. Or said another way, I do not know if they will hire me until I try . . . "Are you sure..." A year ago I was pridefully 'sure' about many things. A real 'know-it-all'. Now I am sure of very little. Like the writer of Proverbs 30:2-3: Surely I am only a brute, not a man; I do not have human understanding.
3 I have not learned wisdom, nor have I attained to the knowledge of the Holy One.

Does your district have a policy regarding employees with severe mental impairments like Bipolar Disorder?

^^^Probably not. It seems as if a policy such as you are suggesting might be considered a form of discrimination. I don't know.

I just spoke with someone that related that they were refused to be allowed to volunteer at their high school due to their BP.

^^^Wow. How sad. I wonder if the above person had their BP under control via meds? Did they 'fight' the decision or just passively accept it? No disrespect intended. I'm just gathering information.

It would seem more appropriate to try and teach adults pt in evening classes at this point, which should also be less stressful.

^^^Excellent point. Thank you! I will look into that next week.

Or, if you really wish to explore something in the educational field, you could maybe try something like selling textbooks to school districts.

^^^As you can imagine with my 'charm and demear' (urr... cough, cough) I am a horrible salesman. If the above would entail driving around all day showing books and slapping a fake smile on my face. . . I would not last long.

There are lots of unskilled jobs you might consider as well. You should probably contact your local Vocational Rehabilitation services and see if they might be able to help you.
^^^OK. I will take a look into that. Thank you.

The local library has an ad for a clerk. 8am to 3pm Mondays-Fridays. Every third Saturday - work 8am - 5pm. I have been pondering looking into it. Of course I love books but I really do not know how my feet/ankles and my mind could handle a Mon-Fri thing and then the every third Saturday. That would interfere with my seeing my daughters every other Saturday UNLESS I could get the X to agree to a, 'I get them every 2nd and 4th Saturday . . .'

However, she is VERY RIGID and CONTROLLING and would probably never agree to such a thing . . . But again, I don't know until I try. I will go up today and see if the job is still available and get a more detailed description of it . . . I imagine it would not pay half as much as subbing and subbing would give me the needed flexibility for medical appointments, BAD days, etc.

LL - thank you for STILL reaching out and assisting me despite less than appropriate tone this week. If I start to act like a jerk again - please feel free to let me know. It doesn't have to be a PM unless you want it to be. Thanks again.
canifindagooddr is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote