Thread: Pet Stories
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2015, 09:56 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Speaking of koi ponds in the days of our lives threads reminded me of my family's misadventures with a little goldfish who led us over a four year trial.

So the little goldfish was a prize from the penny toss game at a carnival my youngest cousin had won. The guy was all set to give her one of the real goldfish (non-feeders) but she wanted the one she had won, wouldn't take any other one.

Naturally we all figured the thing would die before it even made it home. Well it survived the trip home, and the wait in a plastic cup for the night until my aunt could get it a little fishbowl for it. Surely the thing would die by the end of the week, it was a 2 cent feeder goldfish... Nope it survived the week, and the week after and just wouldn't die... But since my aunt isn't into animal cruelty, she made sure the tank was clean, and well aerated... that was her biggest mistake, goldfish apparently grow very, very, very well with plenty of oxygen.

So my DH and I inherited the fish next. We had a 20 gallon tank and the fish had outgrown his little fish bowl. We kept him in the 20 gallon tank until he was about 6" in length, when my dad decided he'd take the fish and let it swim free in his 50 gal tank.

When Goldzilla as we called him finally reached about 10" in length we built the "koi" pond and just for s&g figuring Goldzilla was some kind of freak, we picked him up some company in the form of 20 for a dollar feeder goldfish that we simply dumped into the pond.

There is no telling how big Goldzilla got before he simply disappeared one day. His little friends only reached about 4-6" and only a small handful survived until they too started disappearing one by one the following year (to this day no little fishy bodies have been found.)

I am rather of the belief that the immortal and gigantic Goldzilla grew legs and started the long journey to Tokyo, maybe telling his little buddies where they could find him and they too started heading that way. Who knows maybe, just maybe, he'll turn up in Japan and send us a tweet thanking us for giving him plenty of air before he ransacks Tokyo.