View Single Post
Old 09-04-2015, 04:46 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by made it up View Post
Hi Janette,
Yes after I had DBS I stopped Sinemet completely for the first yr or so by titrating it down slowly when previously my daily dosage was 1,200 mg/ day.
I did stop the agonist abruptly (new neuro recommended cessation plus I was hospitalised at that time) and I don't recall any problem associated with the cessation of it.
I'd say asking your neuro and if he thinks going down maybe from 3 to 2 per day is worth a try for a week then 2 to 1 then 1 to none?
There isn't a clear way of getting a diagnosis of PD yet.
The closest to it is a Sinemet challenge test where if you respond positively to a small dose of it then most likely you do have PD.
I'd be interested to know your outcome.
I know a lady who lives near me and was supposedly young onset and diagnosed wrongly with PD and took Sinemet for approx. 10 yrs before stopping it.
The fact that you feel there's been little if any progression is good either way!
Best wishes.
Hi Made it up,

Do you know what explanation was given for the misdiagnosed lady's symptoms ? I'v come across complete misdiagnosis (ie not Parkinson's plus syndromes) before. Given the complex nature of PD and lack of definitive objective test its quite understandable but Im always intrigued as to what else can present parkinsonian symptoms sufficent to cause such a mistake.
I should explain that my current interest is stress/serotonin induced dopamine delivery issues ie there's enough dopamine but it does'nt get to where it is needed in sufficient quantity. Cases like the one you describe may add a piece to the puzzle.

Nigel
Niggs is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote