Old 06-25-2007, 02:20 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiney sue View Post
Which cancers are you saying this might help reduce?? And i love
the beauty of Tai Chi but unless i can sit down may end up with
more problems. Sue
It's the aspirin that helps reduce the incidence and severity of some types of esophageal, stomach, breast, lung, prostate, urinary bladder, and ovarian cancers.

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/a...cer-prevention

As far as Tai Chi, it's great, but some can't do it. We each have to find what is appropriate for us.

Rule #1 of exercise is to not injure yourself. You have to exercise judgment (sorry about that). Sometimes what is hardest to do is just what we need. When I started yoga, many poses had to be near or against a wall because my foot pain was excruciating, balance was gone, as was the ability to control the large muscles of my legs. After years of yoga, I can balance on one leg easily, walk a curb, and can control all the muscles of my legs, thanks to the training of yoga. I had a great teacher, Kathy Goodman, who wouldn't accept "I can't do it" from me. Her answer was, "You can". Then she'd find a prop or modification of the pose to help me along. She never gave up on me (and neither did I). BTW, my feet still hurt, but not nearly as bad, not 20/7, and the numbness is less.

Make no mistake about it. Without being over dramatic, none of this is easy. We're in the struggle of our lives with no guarantees, and it's for the long haul.

But the struggle itself is well worth it. Sometimes the past 14 or so years I've felt like child learning basic things and had the total joy of getting a function back, or being able to do something that I couldn't do a few years previous. That's why I'm somewhat of a zealot about this approach, hoping others here can go from the depths of despair to a good life worth living.
"Thanks for this!" says:
malawigirl08 (05-30-2010)