View Single Post
Old 09-04-2015, 04:39 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNS1979 View Post
Peripial nerve block ....i dont know how to spell was hoping abbreviation would work. Does it sound like the Dr did it right ? And is 10-14 days normal for effect of the nerve block.
I can certainly understand your confusion. Let me see if I can shed a little light on the matter.

MP is damage to a specific nerve, the LFCN, lateral femoral cutaneous nerve, which is a sensory nerve. It affects the thigh area only. Also, no motor function involved. NO back pain either.

Pain in other areas indicate either a mis-diagnosis or MP PLUS another problem.

A nerve block is sometimes used for MP. An injection is made in the abdomen with or without the aid of ultrasound. In some cases, immediate relief may be felt but it is very common for several days, possibly a week or two, before relief may be felt. In some cases, there is NO relief for various reasons.

One injection may not be sufficient and several follow-up injections may be needed.

However, it appears that your husband has more than MP. The only location he would possibly feel relief from the injection would be in his thigh area based on the information you provided.

A very skillful anesthesiologist may be able to inject the LFCN without the aid of ultrasound and other physicians may feel ultrasound is needed.

The comment that the physician made about "maybe hitting an artery" would make me run and find another doctor.

Just my opinion. Feel free to ask any questions you like and I will try to give you answers from my perspective.

Best wishes to you and your husband. If he is having back pain and pain in his hip and back of his leg, he needs to find the root of the problem. Maybe an MRI would be an option to see if the problem is stemming from the spine area.

He could possibly have multiple issues simultaneously and the only one diagnosed to date is his MP.
Hopeless is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote