View Single Post
Old 09-05-2015, 07:41 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Heart Self-Compassion

Hi PamelaJune,

Glad your husband has been seen by his GP.

I have always found it exciting/hopeful when family members have made a commitment to face alcoholism, detox and commit to a treatment program.
Sometimes, the same family member was making his/her 4th decision to follow through, and I still found their resolve exciting and hopeful. I feel it can sometimes (probably often) takes more than one attempt at detox and treatment.

It seems there are often subsets of clients whom are not serious about detox and/or treatment and are sneaking in drugs and/or drinking when out on privileges, etc. This can feel discouraging to those with a serious commitment, as the various "games played" often also take from the program for those there meaning business.

I hope your husband's healing, on all levels, will go well.

I have been to many Alanon, Adult Children of Alcoholics and public AA meetings. As I have mentioned, many people in my family have suffered/do suffer from alcoholism. I have always found benefits to attending these meetings.

I hope you will also benefit from the meetings you will be attending.

Is the anxiety about going out alone a new anxiety?
It's truly not "stupid," by the way. Maybe feels stupid to you though?

I have watched a friend of mine become agoraphobic just since her husband has passed on. In her case, the anxiety was based on old issues, again resurfacing in her life. There is often a very good reason for these types of anxieties.

Be ultra-kind to yourself (self-compassion) about this, about everything.

You and your husband are in my daily thoughts and prayers.

Offering support, Love and Prayers,
DejaVu
"Thanks for this!" says:
eva5667faliure (02-09-2016), ger715 (09-05-2015), PamelaJune (09-06-2015), PurpleFoot721 (03-12-2016), RSD ME (06-22-2016)