View Single Post
Old 09-06-2015, 11:12 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

[QUOTE=Hopeless;1168972]I am a bit perplexed by the number of times you mention that a physician is informing you of what you are capable and not capable of doing.

^^^Could it not be seen as a TX plan? A doctor is telling me what I must do to get BETTER? Namely, allow my nerves to REST. And not flare them up with too much exercise.

You above all others should be the one to KNOW what you are capable of and what you are NOT capable of doing physically.

[COLOR="rgb(72, 61, 139)"]Is it really that black and white? A kid breaks his arm. It is in a cast for six weeks. The cast gets removed. The kid wants to go out and ran and play again. The doc says, 'no running for at least 4 more weeks'. Is the kid capable of running? Most certainly. Would it be a good idea to let him run just as soon as his cast was taken off? Most certainly NOT. Most likely he will trip and re-injure it.

If I do not post 'a doctor said such and such . . . ' then I, 'get that is just your opinion Dean... only a doctor can make such statement.'

If I say a doctor said, 'such and such' then I get what I have gotten in this post. How can one 'win'? Seems like a Catch-22 to me.

I know that if I stand for over an hour, my feet will become very uncomfortable. I know if I sit over an hour - my feet will become uncomfortable. And I know that when they are really bad (at least twice a week) that the ONLY way I get a measure of relief is by laying on my bed. Not merely putting my feet up. Sometimes that makes the problem worse due to circulation of blood issues. Echoes 'gets it' because he has pn. If one does not have pn, they will never get it. Just like I will never 'get' a condition you have, unless I have personally experienced it myself. Do you know something exist within the world of pn called 'cold-pain'? I didn't until I got sfn. Then one day while reading an article on sfn, the term 'cold-pain' was used. I was like, "YEAH! Validation! I know EXACTLY what these authors are writing about."
[/COLOR]

You also seem to self impose activities that will exacerbate your pain.

[COLOR="rgb(72, 61, 139)"]^^^I did not run a marathon. I did not run a 10K or a 5K. I didn't even jog for one minute. I simply ventured out of my apartment for a rare, rare occasion and did a VERY minimal amount of 'work'. I just wanted to see if I had gotten better or worse. I just wanted to see if I could establish a 'baseline' for walking. My farthest walk was a mere 12 minutes.
[/COLOR]

I just don't understand. Maybe I am just different and not as brave but I try to avoid activities that will only make my pain worsen. Maybe I am just a wimp but I am one that will not touch a hot stove the second time.

[COLOR="rgb(72, 61, 139)"]^^^I think I explain it well above. After shuffling around my apartment for months on end . . . like an 85 year old man . . . I merely went for a very short walk, in the cool of the morning . . . to see if I have gotten better or worse. My goal is always to try to stop BEFORE or just as SOON, as pain begins. Hence some of my walks being just six minutes and others being just 12 minutes. And, I just tried it for a week. Well, it actually turned out to be just four days because I had to abort the experiment. When my doc says, "How are you doing?" Now I have something solid to tell him rather than my 85 year old man - 'apartment shuffle'.[/COLOR]
canifindagooddr is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote