View Single Post
Old 09-06-2015, 12:41 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I'm assistance free inside the house (but only because I know where all the walls and furniture is that I can grab a hold of) I use a cane for short distances like a convenience store or upfront doctor's office.

For everything else (Lowes, Walmart, Publix, definitely the mall) I use a wheelchair primarily, though I have on really good days used just the cane to get around if we only need a few things. I also have a pair of forearm crutches that I use on good days when it seems more a bother to use the chair than to deal with the pain of walking (or sometimes when I just really need to stretch my legs a bit)

I tried a walker a long time ago, but I could never seem to get my gait to match it. I've always had a long stride and an almost tip-toeing walk making it feel like I was simply going to go head first over the little frame. My therapist and I worked at it and worked at it before deciding it just wasn't going to work for me.

So I'm stuck with canes, crutches or chairs.
Kitty (09-07-2015), SallyC (09-07-2015)