View Single Post
Old 09-06-2015, 07:37 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

I bought my first can in the late 1990s in case I had another exacerbation. It sat in the trunk of my car collecting dust as I rarely used it. I did use the cane for an exacerbation in 2001 and then again in 2002. By 2004 I came to the conclusion that I should probably use it more than I did.

I found I didn't like using a cane mainly because it seemed to get in the way of my walking and I had a tendency to kick it. Plus, I never could figure out what side would be better to use it on since gait difficulties is bilateral for me.

In 2008, if my memory is correct, I ended up in PT and during my time there I asked about Trekking Poles as a mobility aid (after talking with someone else with MS). The Physical Therapist said that would be a great alternative for me vs. the cane. She helped me with the proper way of using Trekking Poles as well as determining the correct height.

To this day my preference has been Trekking Poles although I still do not use them on a regular basis.

The pros of Trekking Poles for me are: better balance, improved endurance/distance, easy to use (I don't kick them like I did the cane), good posture and I like the way they look.

For me there is no cons but for someone else a con might be not having a seat like you would with a walker.

I am once again in PT and a couple of the Physical Therapists are now recommending Trekking Poles for some of their patients after talking to me and seeing me use them.
Kitty (09-07-2015), SallyC (09-07-2015)