View Single Post
Old 09-07-2015, 11:25 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSD ME View Post
alot of drs don't understand rsd still especially the spreading part of it and how to medicate properly. though i am not a dr i was lucky enough to find a good pm dr who knows how to help manage rsd pain and i am living proof of it. there is plenty of documentation on how rsd can spread and how real it is. rsd also has a tremendous effect on the immune system and i believe it is listed as an auto-immune disorder but i need to find out where i read that. though i already know it is because i get sick all the time since i've had rsd. you may even hear some drs say rsd is psychological. also not true. rsd has physical as well as emotional symptoms. a neurologist may only help to diagnose rsd and maybe try prednisone for a short while to try to bring down swelling and ease pain. they will then most likely refer you to a pain management dr who can prescribe long term meds and/or other options like nerveblocks, etc to help manage your rsd pain and try to keep it from spreading and bring it into remission. i've never been on lyrica but have tried cymbalta and that didn't help me. if lyrica isn't helping your burning pain then maybe ask your pm dr to try gabapentin. lyrica is used for fibromylagia patients which makes me think your dr is comparing rsd to fibromyalgia. that is also a misconception. rsd has physical symptoms that can be seen to the naked eye where fibro pain can not. my pm dr prescribes gabapentin and a strong pain killer to help manage my rsd pain. i also have fibro and use the gaba to help manage that pain too. it can't hurt to see a neurologist to get a second opinion and then also get a good pm dr who knows what rsd is and how to treat it properly. rsd is a chronic disease so you need a dr who can treat your pain long term. there is alot of info on this forum about rsd and online. just keep searching for the right dr and you will find one it just takes some time. don't give up hope. i know it's hard to be in pain and have to try to find a dr who understands how to properly treat rsd but you can do it. just don't give up. and know that you have alot of great support here on this forum. hope you start to feel better soon. take care.
Thanks RSD ME. I completely agree. Sometimes I bruise my tongue from biting it in the doctor's office. I have been to numerous Dr's. I've had the nerve conduction tests by neurologist. I have been on Gabapentin and it stole my personality so much that I didn't recognize myself. I was a zombie. and still in pain. The dr.'s say "you are only 34, we aren't putting you on opioids" I understand that, I don't want to have a dependence either but I also shouldn't have to live in this amount of pain. I'm also very self aware so I think I would be low risk for abuse of any sort. One of the drs even said that Opioids were not good for CRPS patients. Have you heard this?

I have another consult @ one of the East Coast's top medical centers. Lets hope they have something better to say. I am being referred there for the Ketamine infusions. If not, I will head up to DC, I have read some good reports on here about some of the doctors.

Its taken me some time to come to terms with being sick but now I'm just ready to move forward. Every day that I am not getting help, I feel that I am just wasting away… That's why I decided to take my foot out of the boot and see what happens. So far so good. At least I don't feel like a "sick person"today.
Inspiretoday is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
mama mac (09-07-2015), RSD ME (09-07-2015)