View Single Post
Old 09-07-2015, 08:04 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

inspire, my dr has had me on strong pain killers along with neurontin (gabapentin) for almost five years now. though i've had to to increase them after having three surgeries, i was able to decrease when the surgical wounds healed. so i know i am not addicted to them. my pm dr said that addiction is NOT what we have when taking narcos. he said that addiction is when you take drugs to get "high". He also said that what people with rsd have is called tolerance because we are taking prescribed meds to manage a real chronic pain condition like rsd. he also that its better NOT to be in pain then to be in pain because that only makes rsd worse and possibly spread. i believe what he says because i've had other drs tell me the same thing like the pyschiatrist i see to help manage my depression and anxiety that rsd causes me. he prescribes zoloft for depression and a tranquilizer to help me sleep (i.e. xanax). he also agrees that it is ok to take because it is helping me get the sleep i need so that my rsd pain doesn't flare up as much. i don't like taking meds and never have except for some advil from time to time prior to having rsd, but without the meds now with rsd i would not be able to tolerate the pain. it would be too unbearable. i know gabapentin is tough to take at first but after a few weeks the zombie like symptoms wear off (at least they did for me). the down side is i can't drive anymore but the up side is my pain is being managed. i am not a dr but it sounds to me like any dr who says you are too young to take prescribed pain meds when you are suffering from one the most painful chronic illnesses known to man makes no sense to me. i don't think that that dr knows enough about rsd to help you manage your pain. age has nothing to do with taking meds. your illness requires something to help manage your pain whether it be meds or nerveblocks or ketamine, calmare or scs (that one is my last resort). everyone who has rsd reacts diffently to treatments so you have to first find a good pm dr to help mange your rsd pain and secondly find which treatment suits you best. it is ultimately up to you since it is your body. you have to follow your gut and do what you are comfortable with. don't let anyone push you into something you don't want to do. research rsd and its treatments and drs as much as possible. and like. and most importantly don't ever give up. you will find the right dr and he will help you manage your pain. i found one who is awesome so there is hope out there. sending healing thoughts your way my friend. take care.
p.s. i have heard of the nerve conduction test too and have been told by some drs that you don't need it to diagnose rsd. the physical symptoms of rsd are a very clear sign that one has rsd because they can be seen by the naked eye, i.e swelling, shiny skin, excessive hair and nail growth on affected area, temperature changes and color changes to skin and lack of range of motion in affected area. the extreme pain that is out of proportion to the original injury is also a good indicator that one had rsd. just wanted to let you know in case someone wants to have you do that painful test again. i would get a second opinion first so you don't have to suffer anymore then you already are unecessarily. hoping you feel better soon. soft hugs.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Inspiretoday (09-07-2015), stillsmiling (09-08-2015)