View Single Post
Old 06-25-2007, 07:26 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi, I just "joined" . My daughter who is 7 was diagnosed with Epilepsy/generalized seizure disorder about 4 years ago. Her seizures are 99% under control, they are usually brought on by a fever and a quick spike in the fever.
She is on Lamictal twice a day 50mg each, Aderal 5mg once a day and Diazapam 2mg twice a day.She has sensory issues as well, hence the other meds.
Very recently she started complaing about an odor. Mind you she's 7 and she really can't describe it but she says " daddy it smells" . There have never been any seizures folowing the "odor" until yesterday.
Just after the smell she had what seemed like a seizure, and she was post-ictal for about 30 minutes .She slept in my wifes arms on the couch.
After she woke, somewhat groggy we went upstairs to take her temp. She was barely running anything, but we medicate with Tylenol and Motrin overlapping every three hours to keep the fever down. So as a precaution we were about to give her Tylenol when she seized again ,this time for 7 minutes ! She usually is 30 sec to 1 minute max. This was scary ,she turned blue and we called the ambulance.
Blah, Blah Blah.... The doctors know us in the ER and it was the usual routine etc.. to check her out.
She is 100% fine today. The odd thing was that the fever never registered above 100.0 . That's REALLY low to cause a siezure for her.

Do you guys think that the "smell or odor" is an aura that is preceding the seizure ?
Also, our neorologist at CHOP had not heard of the "odor" thing before.
Stocky is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote