View Single Post
Old 09-09-2015, 08:56 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Hi BioBased,
I was on a knee scooter for 5 months, then crutches for about 3-4 months, now a cane the last month or so. The past few weeks I have started walking short distances in the house without the cane, and I go for a walk with my husband outside (no cane) for a few minutes. I started with 3 minutes for a week, last week I did 4, and this week I am doing 6 minutes. I think my gait is ok, but I walk slow. My foot still hurts all the time, but the walking isn't flaring it up as long as I keep it slow and make small increment increases. I'm just hoping I can keep the progress going. It's frustrating to still have the pain, but it hurts whether I rest or move, so I'm determined to increase my walking. I wear a fitbit, and it is a good way to count steps so I know when I've had a day that is over what I usually do. Then I can monitor and see if my pain went up after a big day. I usually do about 3000 steps, but sometimes if it is a busy day I have 4000. My physical therapist is helping me plan when to increase the steps on purpose, and when to build in rest times. I really want to walk my dog around the block, and to do short grocery shopping trips without the cane. I'm not giving up. We've got this!
MissyJ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
BioBased (09-10-2015), Enna70 (09-10-2015), Littlepaw (09-09-2015), mama mac (09-09-2015), RSD ME (09-10-2015), tigerlily7777 (09-12-2015)