View Single Post
Old 06-25-2007, 08:59 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Post Couple of thoughts . . .

I would suggest that you consult with a clinical psychologist or psychiatrist. Being a psychologist, I am a bit partial perhaps . . .

The idea being -- they could put you on temporary medical leave for "stress." You do not appear to have a "physical" condition that makes you eligible at this time. But "stress" or something similar is just as good in terms of qualifying. I believe you are in CA, and there are state laws covering this.

I had occasion to do this for a number of my patients over the years - sometimes I was the one who suggested this course and sometimes it was the patient asking for it. I rarely refused to do so, and I don't think you would have a problem. Most shrink-types really want to help and I think most would probably feel that it would be appropriate to do so for you at this time.

Also, you could benefit by learning some specific techniques to help you let go of stress and stay relaxed as well as being able to keep focus. In general, I would say psychologists have better training to do these kinds of things, although there certainly are psychiatrists around who also specialize in this area, without trying to just throw meds at folks (psychologists are not authorized to prescribe medication).

If you were able to find such a professional you really liked, then you might benefit from a little therapy that would help you sort through your situation, enabling you to figure out what you need to do. In case you don't know this -- any good therapist will not just tell you what to do . . . you need to be the one to figure that out. But sometimes throwing a little more light on the path can help, or perhaps stepping aside and looking at things from a different perspective, and so forth, can really trigger your own wisdom and skills to work effectively.

rafi
rfinney is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote