Old 09-10-2015, 06:51 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Healthgirl View Post
I wonder if the build up of formaldehyde/ other of gassing would be what is causing my complete inability to process alcohol. I am pretty sure that my liver is extremely burdened from what ever I was exposed to. I used to be able to have a drink for a pleasant buzz and then have another for a good old time. Since this neuropathy, I can't even take a sip of it with out becoming rapidly drunk in a terrible way.
Using thiamine properly is genetically driven. There are ethnic peoples (mostly in Asia) who lack enough of the enzyme to process the alcohol and aldehydes it creates in the body. These people get ill very quickly if they drink alcohol, and some drugs cannot be metabolized properly either and require much lower doses. (Crestor is one).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC303676/

Since this is a mitochondrial defect, it follows that if the mitochondria are damaged, then metabolism may be impaired for aldehyde removal and other functions.
And many of the drugs used for PN symptoms interact with alcohol, leading to increased sedation. Cymbalta in fact damages the liver and if used with alcohol, can lead to serious damage or death even.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote