View Single Post
Old 09-10-2015, 03:35 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi bchristine,

Thank you for posting the xrays. Yes, these xrays combined with your statements tell a pretty clear story of at least some of the dental issues in that quadrant.

You mentioned that the one dentist you saw upset you by informing you of what he found. I assume you want me to tell you what I see on your xrays or you would not have posted them. I hope that is correct as my intention is not to upset you.

Some biological dentists do not perform oral surgery. Those that do, tend to have formal education and training in oral surgery beyond their conventional dental education. They generally understand the significance of less traumatic surgery to help preserve the integrity of the jaw bone but at the same time they debride the surgical site thoroughly even if that means removing diseased bone. Conventional dentists are taught all of those things too, but they don't necessarily follow them with every patient. I know that doesn't make sense.... to me either :/ Biological dentists are not in favor of root canal therapy as they are aware of the chronic infection and systemic consequences of retaining infected non vital teeth. However, if they feel that a patient is most concerned about retaining their tooth and then the only other thing they can offer is rct. But rct would not be their preferred choice, in most bio practices.

<<2) I have had regular dental care my whole life; the past 20+ years by the same dentist, who I am placing some of the blame on for the predicament I'm in ... have been complaining about my upper right for over 5 years. He just does a deep cleaning and says I always "heal well". Never any mention of decayed teeth under crowns ....>>

DID THIS DENTIST DO THE CROWN WORK FOR YOU?
DID HE TAKE ROUTINE XRAYS OF YOUR TEETH? OR DID YOU REFUSE XRAYS?
THE DEEP CLEANING ON THE DISTAL (BACK) OF TOOTH #2 WAS A TRUE TEMPORARY MEASURE AT THE VERY MOST AS IT CANNOT ALTER THE BACTERIAL STATUS FROM THE DECAY. THIS DECAY MOST LIKELY WOULD HAVE SHOWED UP ON XRAYS LONG BEFORE NOW.

<<4) I do not know if debridement was done on this extraction - he was in/out of my mouth very quickly, and I never remember anything like that done>>

A SURGICAL DEBRIDEMENT REQUIRES A LOT OF SCRAPING. IT IS NOT PAINFUL BUT YOU WOULD KNOW IT WAS BEING DONE. IT USUALLY TAKES A MINIMUM OF 15-20 MINUTES, SOMETIMES LONGER.

<<7) Tooth# 3/1st molar is not RC; however I have been told there is some decay; minimal bone loss on the side.>>

YES, #3 IS DECAYED UNDERNEATH THE CROWN AND THERE APPEARS TO BE RADIO GRAPHIC PATHOLOGY ON THE MESIAL (FRONT) ROOT. THIS TOOTH IS IN SIMILAR SHAPE TO TOOTH #2.

<<8) That area has had intermittent soreness for many years, but never like this. My bit has been off/sore as well - although this could be due to swelling in the gums?>>

THIS TOOTH HAS OBVIOUSLY BEEN DECAYING FOR YEARS. THE BACTERIA FROM THE DECAY WAS PROLIFERATING BEYOND THE TOOTH AND THE ACCUMULATION OF BACTERIA AND BUILD UP OF GRANULOMA TISSUE IS WHAT HE WAS SCRAPING OUT. BUT IT WAS INEVITABLE THAT THE DECAY WOULD KEEP SPREADING.

<<9) No drainage that I'm aware of.>>

HOW ABOUT CONGESTION OR STUFFINESS ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF YOUR NOSE? OR TENDERNESS UNDER OR ABOVE THE CHEEKBONE?

<<Also want to mention I had gum-pocket surgery in 12/2013 in this area - something else my dentist thought would help, I guess. It seems like it only aggravated things, and I feel is was unnecessary.>>

DID THAT DENTIST TAKE XRAYS BEFORE HE DID THE PERIO SURGERY? THE DECAY ON THE MOLARS HAS BEEN THERE AND PROGRESSING FOR A LONG TIME. OTHER THAN REMOVING THE TOOTH, THERE WAS NOTHING THAT WAS GOING TO PREVENT THE PROLIFERATION OF BACTERIA AS IT WAS DECAYING THE TOOTH SIGNIFICANTLY.

<<Can you recommend someone in my area? My zip is 19805 - Wilmington, DE - Philadelphia.>

I CAN RECOMMEND A BIOLOGICAL DENTIST IN KING OF PRUSSIA, PA. HIS OFFICE IS NEAR THE KOP MALL. ARE YOU FAMILIAR WITH THAT AREA AT ALL? IF YOU ARE INTERESTED I CAN PM HIS NAME TO YOU.

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***

Last edited by Bryanna; 09-10-2015 at 05:54 PM.
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote