View Single Post
Old 06-26-2007, 06:39 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Yes, this visit sounds hoepful--

--especially from the standpoint that this individual sounds like he is concerned with the interactive effects of your medications with your "presenting" problems.

While I'm not as versed in the particular subject of the interaction of thyroid and parathyroid with bone issues as I am in some other hormonal/metabolic areas (though my mother did have a parathyroid tumor removed some years back that was causing her serum calcium to go sky-high), I do know that there is a delicate negative feedback mechanism that balances the release/absorption of calcium needed for bone formation and that the thyroid/pituitary are involved along with the parathyroids, as are magnesium and Vitamin D--and that there are a lot of points in the loop where disruption can occur (as you of course have found out). If this doctor has experience/knowledge of the subtleties here, that can only be a good thing. My other thought on this would be to make sure you optimize your Vitamin D level--as light complexioned people who works indoor, I suspect we both might need a little supplementary boost. Especially if bone formation is an issue, raising of D3 levels to higher levels might be indicated. (There is considerable evidence that what are--or were--considered optimal Vitamin D levels may in fact be way too low; there's an enormous thread, with lots of citations, in the OBT Vitamin forum that discusses this and gives opinions from many sides.)
glenntaj is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote