View Single Post
Old 09-14-2015, 10:16 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okone1 View Post
Did anyone have other health problems related to alcohol that resulted in the discovery of alcoholic neuropathy? I had pancreatitis and severe alcohol withdrawals. I was in the hospital for 15 days, 7 in ICU. It was not until I left the hospital and quit drinking that I noticed the symptoms that turned out to be PN. Do you really think alcohol kept me from having any symptoms? I wonder. It would be treated the same and I can't have alcohol nor do I want it, so I am not sure it really matters. I haven't had any improvement and I am closing in on two years without alcohol. I had every test possible and nothing was found. It's frustrating and sometimes it makes me wonder if there is something else I am missing or should do beside just quitting alcohol and adding a few supplements. Tired of the pain, but really enjoy being sober!
While I was spared the additional symptoms you had Okone, I also have had no improvement with nearly two years of (mostly) abstinence. I did quite knowingly drink beer for a time at the one year mark, but returned to abstinence as my symptoms just continued to degrade gradually. It is indeed frustrating and I think it is important to keep up the sobriety and be glad for the good health we otherwise have. I admire reports I see of progress, but it is important to note that response to sobriety and abstinence is highly variable. I also keep an eye on the encouraging research being done on this condition. But there is nothing on the near term horizon (as far as I know) so I try my best to live a full life and not think about this crap any more than necessary.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Okone1 (09-14-2015), PamelaJune (09-15-2015), Wide-O (09-15-2015)