View Single Post
Old 09-14-2015, 05:14 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

In general, I'd recommend staying away from Vitamin Water, particularly if you're taking vitamin supplements on a daily basis. There are actually mineral and vitamin, particularly with vitamin E, toxicity concerns in consumers who have high intake of these products.

One other thing regarding vitamins, I think it's good to have clear picture of risks associated with the vitamin regimen being recommended in our "vitamin sticky". For normal, healthy individuals there has been growing concern over the past two decades that vitamin supplements do not provide any benefit, and may in fact be increasing risk of certain cancers. In fact, the burden of scientific work now leans to healthy individuals not taking any supplements as there have been several studies demonstrating increased risk of certain diseases linked to their consumption. This is particularly true for fat soluble vitamins (A, D, E, and K). It's also noteworthy that excessive water soluble vitamin intake does pose a burden to the body. I'm not sure why, but people always assume this is not the case. Lastly, as more studies are completed and reported, it's highly likely that there will be additional concerns linked to excessive vitamin intake, though this is speculative on my behalf.

Now, for all of us who have a TBI, we would not be considered part of the "healthy" population. It's quite reasonable to believe that we require extra vitamin supplementation, and that this may be beneficial to us. This is likely to be particularly important during the first few months when metabololic processes in the brain and body are significantly different from pre-TBI. Past this point, the benefit is likely to be more individual-based rather than applicable to all those enduring PCS.

My goal of presenting some risks linked to vitamin supplementation is not to spark a heated debate; I currently am taking many of the vitamins in our sticky. However, I think it's important to know that there may be risks associated with long-term intake of some of the recommended vitamins, many of which are being suggested at extremely high doses. Presently this is most concerning for the fat soluble vitamins. I plan on really reducing the IUs I supplement with for these vitamins.

If you're interested in learning more on this, there's been some media reports hitting on this in recent months. I'd dig this up but I feel so crummy right now I'm not up for it.

Anyways, I think it's in everyone's best interest to always self-educate as much as possible such that you can make an informed decision. For me, I have felt better since doing the vitamin regimen but this unfortunately overlaps with the 3 month period during which I increased an antidepressant dosage... not sure if one, the other, or both are contributing to some of the improvements I've had.

Best wishes to everyone.
MicroMan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
troublehead (09-15-2015)