View Single Post
Old 09-17-2015, 10:14 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Frederique,

Has the pain been present since the second debridement? Or did it calm down and now come back again? Is the pain the same type of pain that you had with the original abscess or is it in a different area?

You say you have pain when your stressed, talking a lot and after chewing, this sounds like it could be muscle pain. When we're stressed or over tired its common to clench our teeth together. If you do this long enough and often enough, the muscle will get tight and inflamed. The nerves in the jaw can also become irritated and inflamed which can cause referred pain to occur in other areas of the mouth and even other teeth.

Some things that need to be determined before someone can tell you your pain is nerve related are ...... is there a cavitation in the jaw bone at the wisdom tooth site .... do you have muscle tenderness in the jaw/and tmj area.... are you clenching or grinding your teeth .... and your occlusion (bite) needs to be checked to see if you are hitting against a tooth or teeth unnecessarily hard when you chew. Not all dentists can diagnose a cavitation in the bone. Oral surgeons know what to look for but there is no guarantee they will diagnose it. Biological dentists usually know what to look for and tend to be more inclined to diagnose these areas but there is no guarantee there either. Your general dentist can check your bite ... and check for abnormal wear on your teeth indicating a clenching or grinding habit.

I think something is not right as it has been many months since the extractions and you should be fine by now.

Has the dentist taken any post op xrays of that area? If you want, you can have them emailed to you and post them here if you are comfortable doing that.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederique1 View Post
Hi Bryanna,

Once again I would like your advice on something.
Since my last post I had another 2 appointments with the surgeon who performed my wisdom teeth surgery & debridement. I'm experiencing pain in the extraction site on the right side of my mouth. I was sure that it was the second molar causing problems, but upon examining my dentist said the tooth is perfectly healthy.

The pain I'm feeling is located in the back, but it radiates towards the front of my mouth (lower front teeth). The surgeon, as well as my regular dentist, keep saying that I'm experiencing "nerve pain". They've given me antibiotics (just to be sure - because there's no sign of infection, no pus or anything like that) & painkillers (Zaldiar). The painkillers help, but I don't want it to become a habit. They're very strong & I feel a bit drowsy when I take them.
I also have a feeling that the pain tends to get worse when I'm experiencing a lot of stress at work (not enough sleep, long hours, ...).
Also, when I have to talk a lot, I feel pain. Chewing is also a problem. I don't have severe pain while chewing, but mostly afterwards. (No real sensitivity to hot/cold.) Why is that? Does it have to do with my jaw or the nerves?

Do you think all of this is normal? The surgeon says I can call him anytime, but he's hesitant to do another debridement, because he thinks he won't find anything new.
When can I expect this "nerve pain" to go away? Should I just be patient? Am I being too anxious?

Thanks a lot for your input, Bryanna!

Kind regards

Frederique

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote