View Single Post
Old 09-18-2015, 11:15 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Two issues to resolve here.

First, an individual sub-concussive impact should not be a worry. It takes hundreds of sub-concussive impacts to cause damage, primarily because the minor trauma, I'll call it a micro-trauma, is repeated without giving the brain a chance to recover. Maybe this illustration will help.

Let's say a concussion is a 10. A subconcussive impact (SCI) is a 1.

First SCI is a 1. It resolves to a 0.1 then there is a 2nd 1 SCI so the combined level is 1.1 It resolves to a 0.11.

Now a 3rd SCI of 1 combines to 1.11. It resolves to a 0.12

Now a 4th SCI of 1 combines to a 1.12. It resolves to a 0.21

Now a 5th SCI of 1 combines to a 1.21. It resolves to a 0.22

Do you see how many subconcussive impacts would need to be linked together to cause an injury ?

Now, regarding getting a concussive impact in your sleep. I doubt there is any sleep movements other than falling out of bed onto a concrete floor that could cause a concussion. An elbow would have to be extremely powerful to cause a concussion, not just a movement in sleep. A child does not have the mass to cause a concussion.

Do you feel lousy? Sure you do. It can be anxiety. It can be a disturbed sleep because your son climbed into bed and did not wake you but disrupted your sleep cycles.

This roller coaster of PCS is a common part of PCS. It does not need a traumatic event to cause the relapse of PCS symptoms. A slight sleep disturbance can totally mess up my day. Nothing I do can fix it until I can get a good night's sleep. Tomorrow is always another day. I have to look forward to them because, based on experience, my symptoms of today rarely carry over to tomorrow unless I do something stupid today or mess up my sleep again.

So, relax and get through today and look forward to tomorrow.
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
pugmug (09-19-2015)