View Single Post
Old 06-26-2007, 01:11 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Stocky,
Welcome to the forum! I'm sorry to hear your daughter had such a long lasting seizure. If your daughter has been sick with a virus or cold that can often cause a seizure just like a temperature can cause Febrile seizures (a seizure brought on by a fever.)
I've had absence (petit mal) , complex partial, and simple partial (aura sz.) for 35 yrs. I had surgery done twice to help reduce the sz.
My advice to you is to have your daughter see an Epileptologist (Dr. specializing in epilepsy) I've seen many different neuros over the yrs. and I found an Epileptologist is way ahead of all the neuros. I've ever seen and if you go to an Epilepsy Center usually at a University Hospital you will get the best help needed for your daughter.
If you haven't started keeping record of your daughters sz. get a calendar and write down what time the sz. happened along with a discription of the sz. by doing this often the Dr. can see a pattern as to what time of day/night or what days of the month a person is more likely to have any sz. Also take note of the weather and if there's a low pressure because some people with epilepsy have sz. when there's a low pressure. Keep your daughter away from anything with nutra sweet (aspartame) in it like diet soda. It's been proven that aspartame can cause more electrical activity in the brain and cause sz. for many people. You might want to have your daughter go on the ketogenic diet. This diet is to help control sz. The diet is high in fat but low in protein and carbs. It reduced a lot of my sz. and I take a lot less AED's (sz. meds) now that I'm on the diet. If your interested you can by the book titled: "The Epilepsy Diet Treatment" By Dr. John Freeman of Hopkins University. Here's wishing you and your family well. Check out these websites for more info.
www.epilepsy.com
http://www.neuropat.dote.hu/neurology.htm
When the main page comes up click on epilepsy.

May God Bless You,
Sue
Porkette is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote