Thread: The 2 P's
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2015, 11:19 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnt View Post
This is a big area. One in which PwP are well able to add to the research effort.

It seems to me that a placebo should be a first class citizen of the medical armoury even if it works only for some people and for a limited period of time.

We need to differentiate between placebos which give a purely perceived advantage and those which give an objectively measurable one.

We also need to differentiate between pure placebos - things which have no true therapeutic effect on PD - and those substances (e.g. chocolate) and actions (e.g. flashing lights) whose effect may be both truly therapeutic as well as due to the placebo effect. I call these "therebos" (from THERapy and placEBO).

The task ahead is to discover therebos, to measure their effectiveness, to engineer them to improve their efficacy and to nurture them.

John
I was hoping for your input John, Im intrigued by 'therebos', a while back I came across a article which reported an experiment where placebo DBS operations were carried out.. The subjects having the mock op displayed improvement in line with those who actually had surgery.
Given the usual "does'nt work for everyone" problem that plagues the PD world
I wonder if some of our existing treatments are actually Therebos.

Nigel
Niggs is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote