Old 09-20-2015, 03:30 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Smile A Neurologist Willing to Listen to YOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamG11 View Post
Thank you so much for the information.

Extremely appreciated!

So how exactly is migraine variants and these conditions diagnosed? Through EEG's?

Like you said a lot of information haha. I'm going to try to read more into it.
Hi Sam,

I was thrilled to see the article can be printed out, which makes it easier to take it to your doctors, to show it to your parents, etc.

I apologize for all of the terminology, etc. It's an article from a credible source and covers enough to catch the interest of your doctors, I hope.

I like to take articles like that one, print it out, write notes on it, etc. It helps me to keep my focus and to later return to the article without feeling totally lost all over again. Lol!

As for securing an accurate diagnosis, you will need a neurologist willing to listen to you about your experiences.

As you have mentioned, you have seen 2 neurologists and they "think you are normal." That's good news, by the way, albeit frustrating for you.

I think they mean they don't see anything overtly or obviously disconcerting to them. ( They see no signs of a major tumors, no signs of advanced serious neurological disease, etc.)

Neurologists often see overtly serious and/or degenerative conditions. Most neurologists perceive conditions like migraine, the more subtle epilepsies, concussions/PCS, etc, as "unfortunate," "possibly painful," and "inconvenient" for the patient. They often do not see these conditions as "serious" in comparison to many conditions they often see and/or treat.

Ideally, it may be very helpful for you to see a neurologist specializing in headache/migraine.

First of all, a neurologist must be willing to listen carefully to you about your experiences and your concerns. S/he must understand how serious this has been for you, how this affects your life and your sense of self, your sense of hope about your future.

Secondly, it would be very helpful if the neurologist is highly specialized in understanding the nature of migraine/migraine variants/migralepsy/epilepsies.

Such a neurologist will know/understand all of the information you share about your experiences, will know which tests to perform and will know how to put all of the information together to come to the most accurate diagnosis.

I had wanted to share the Medscape article with you for a few reasons:

I want you to see there are conditions which can cause a sense of change(s) in consciousness, conditions which do not deem anyone as "crazy."

I was wondering if some of the information in the article might help you to recall more information about your own experiences. Sometimes we need "cues" to help us to recall, especially if certain experiences have become our "norm." We rarely report our "norm," even though it may be helpful information to a clinician trying to assist us.

I had wanted to find/share a credible medical article with you, with your parents (should you decide to share it with them) and a credible article for you to print and share with your doctor(s) -- only IF YOU feel this may be helpful information.

DejaVu

DejaVu is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ger715 (09-22-2015), SamG11 (09-20-2015), Wren (09-20-2015)