View Single Post
Old 09-20-2015, 09:14 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post
The delayed bleed is extremely rare. Brain bleeds from concussions usually manifest immediately but may be slow to develop to a point where they are imageable. Statistically, 3 days is the optimum time to image these bleeds.

Google is your worst enemy because it make obscure anecdotes of rare events appear to be common. Unless you can find the statistical analysis of various injuries, you don't know to disregard the extremes.

The example you noted showed he was symptomatic. I bet he had severe headaches and other symptoms that were evident without a scan.

Regarding permanent damage, you already suffered very minor permanent damage. Nothing can be done to change that. You may have symptoms increase over the next week based on the original damage but that does not mean your injury is getting worse. Concussion symptoms quite often get worse during the next few weeks due to a cascade of stress chemistry. This is why you were advised to reduce stress and take things slow.

85% of concussions resolve within 6 weeks without any intervention. You have plenty of time to still be part of that 85%. You are way too early to worry about what happens a few months from now.

You should avoid any further CT Scans unless a neurologist has observed symptoms that indicate a need. A CT has 200 times the radiation of a single X-ray. Those symptoms would be things like an intense headache, loss of motor function (clumsiness, paralysis), a change in ability to smell, hear, see (beyond a bit of mild temporary blurriness), etc.

I think your primary concern should be to get home safely without enduring fatigue or stress. Once you get home, you may look into getting assessed by a concussion clinic. There is rarely anything they can do but getting a medical record started would be worthwhile. If you were to suffer a concussion in the future or have unexplained symptoms manifest, having this concussion in your record may be helpful. If your vision issues persist, being checked by a behavioral optometrist with an opportunity for follow-up care would also be good.

Getting back to you own bed will be helpful, especially if you have a subtle neck injury. Being able to sleep without tossing in bed will be good.

But, I don't think you have anything to be concerned about but getting home.

My best to you.
Thank you! We will be on "vacation" for a little while longer so hopefully I will be able to rest. I really haven't had much of a headache but the last few hours I have been feeling one coming on and it is one of the pulsing/throbbing ones. So don't freak? The hospital said come back for any changes. If that was the case I would be there 5x a day, lol.
confusedandfreaked is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote