View Single Post
Old 06-26-2007, 03:27 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Thumbs up Chronic pain patients

Dr.Todd
Not only RSD but many chronic pain patients need special attention.
dental needs are an anxiety issue to non-issu patients let alone this with high pr special needs pain addressed.

My daughter would have not the short term novacain used as it did not numb well. Also, enzymes in valium can reduce the effectivness. She also needed nitrous. If the patient is in need of a tooth pulled, a back one, my daughter would go to an oral surgeon and versed or twilight was used.

Antibioics and pain medication started immediatly.
ALSO, many patients have a pain contrac; a prior phone call, not post op one to the Pain doctor would reslove any problems medicating pain post op.

I had a PCP taht was manageing meds refused the oral surgeon to provide a script post op for tylenol III for a tooth that was in terrible shape.
I had to camp out in his officewith a crying patient to request him provide the script for pain. By this time the pain wa so high, it was extremly difficult to control. THAT WAS MEAN AND UNCALLED FOR!

ANother thing is Alodynia, hyper pain signals. When a terry cloth goes across the skin it can feellike a million picks of needles or terrible pain. The brain has received so many pain signals over an extended time that it reads pain HYPER.

You are to be commended. To find a dentistthat will take the challange of a difficult patient is tough, nearly impossible. The last reg. dentist I had used for our family their center for 35 years, since I was in high school; told me right out my adult daughter had too much pain and jumped around he would not treat her.Thankfully he could contril the abscess, and then the referral to the oral surgeon again helped.
New PCp for pain at that time was very helpful.

Thanks for your concern, check on some of the other forums for MS MD, Chronic pain and other issues, even children that have ADHD, bipolar or mental health issues are more challanging. More rewarding too.
Dianne

PS I made ice bags of frozen peas, or 1 part Alcohol and two parts water for slushy to use on pain area.

ALSO confirm tooth problem with xrays. Once a sister had a tooth pulled and it was actually comning from a bad sinus problem. Rule out fascial neuralgia nerves making the tooth painful too.

Pocono area, PA

DiMarie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote