View Single Post
Old 09-21-2015, 02:52 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Cool Chronic Iron Anemia ~ Low Iron Stores

3 years ago I almost died. My iron levels were so low that I should have been dead. My hair had noticeably thinned. I was so tired that the last 2 days before going into the hospital, I slept almost all day long. I also thought that I was suffering from the worst asthma attack of my life.

How bad was it? I had to have 4 blood transfusions and 2 double dose, iron infusions before leaving the hospital. Then I had to go to the hospital 2 times a week for 2 months for iron infusions. My veins took a great beating from this. I used to have veins that were very cooperative and now they jump, roll and collapse....no fun at all.

My hematologist has diagnosed me with chronic iron anemia. She usually can get patients regulated and on a regimen of iron infusions to combat this. Mine is difficult to get regulated because my liver doesn't flush at a regular rate. It isn't correcting itself...like it does for most people. It fluctuates on how much iron my liver flushes. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.

Has anyone else had this problem? Mine seems to be genetic but so way worse than anyone else in the family has. It is frustrating, scary and confusing.
Kanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
DejaVu (09-21-2015)