View Single Post
Old 09-21-2015, 01:01 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Hi wbrianiii and welcome to this forum.

As the others before me have said, Thank you for your service to this country and sorry that it was at such a great expense.

I am fairly new to this forum myself and am still learning quite a bit about CRPS myself. I can't actually say what the best treatment option is for you as it is different for everybody. I'm sure plenty of other members will give their experiences. It's a great community here. What I can say is amputation should not be considered unless it is absolutely necessary, such as sever infection that can not be controlled, gangrene and so on. As Spike said, they will never be able to remove enough of the nerve that is causing the pain. It also leaves the potential for it to increase in intensity or even spread. Look into other treatment options from a reputable pain management doctor, and make sure they are knowledgeable in treating CRPS/RSD.

Myself, I was originally injured back in 2003, when I fell from a roof that left me with a shattered talus, trimalleolar fracture and several torn ligaments and tendons. After 4 surgeries I ended up here. I don't know exactly where along the line I ended up with CRPS but I have often wondered myself if I should have had an amputation long ago. As you have read in my 1 and only post so far, I am still struggling to find the treatment that works for myself. I too am unclear as to whether or not I have type I or II as my doctor has given prescriptions that state both at one point or another. I have found that a combination of gabapentin and amitriptyline has helped a little but not enough. I am sure others will mention what treatment have helped them the most but as I said earlier we all respond differently to different treatment.

Once again, thank you, to you and all the other brave men and women that have given so much for this country.
PurpleFoot721 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
DejaVu (09-21-2015), mama mac (09-21-2015), stillsmiling (09-22-2015)