View Single Post
Old 09-21-2015, 09:45 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappleofDiscord View Post
About 5 days post of of transaxillary rib resection on my right side for my crippling NTOS.
Surgery by Dr Reifsnyder at Johns Hopkins.

Spewing my story and looking for insight from other people who have had this surgery or even know a lot about it as well..

It's hard to tell how much immediate relief I have from the surgery thus far.
They did let me keep my rib, which they said was unusually wide. It looks pretty blade like to me too. Yikes!
There's still a lot of swelling and pain. A lot of the same nerve pain and lightening in the back of my neck, scapula, down my arm and into my hands. It Does immediately feel like a tight rope has been cut in my neck and it's no longer trying to crank my head down into my chest.. So I've got that going for me.

Anyone got any tips on how to manage the first few weeks before my post op appt and pt starts?
I don't want to risk losing ground on nerve recovery by not being proactive. Or retrain my body to do something that could be damaging.

My condition had deteriorated so much that my activity was already pretty limited to mostly staying in bed, family helping me cut my meals, dress, and drive Soong before surgery it was hard to take the aftercare instruction of "take it easy" seriously..

So turning to the people who actually Know things about TOS..
Any ideas and experience:
-Good arm positions? For sleep? Eating? Sitting?
-Good passive exercise? Scapula pulls? Neck stretchs?
-Any stretches? (I still feel something weird pulling back and forth behind my collar bone during muscle cramps and movement)
-I'm getting mixed instructions about whether or not I should wear a sling depending on what nurse I talked to while I was inpatient recovery. Did anyone have good luck with a sling? Or bad luck?
-Should I be encouraging more range of motion?
-Ice? Where did it work for you?
-pillows? I still can't seem to figure this arrangement out since leaving the hospital.
- any light low impact work outs work for you after surgery?( I had to stop jogging before, it pulled on my arm and neck nerves and wrecked me. )

Any "you would never think of it, but absolutely DO NOT try to do X!" Words of warning?

Thanks
After four surgery for TOS, I've done the following.

The first 10 days or so it will be very, very painful. So, don't do too much.

I would only wear a sling when needed, you might end up with frozen shoulder like I did. Especially if you wear it all the time.

Don't worry about any exercises, you should ask your doctor at your next appointment. One of my doctors told me to swing my arm back n forth for 30 minutes. You can do this as you are able to walk around the house.

Grab a bunch of pillows. I would stand one up against the bed board, and stack the any other ones. I didnt get much sleep due to the pain. But as time passes, (months) the pain will get better. If you have one, try sleeping on a recliner.

Try using ice packs for swelling and heating pad for pain. TRUST ME, these two items will become your best friend.

Be patient, relax, and don't overdo it. I pray your recovery goes well. If I can answer anymore questions, please let me know. I've been dealing with TOS for 22yrs. GOD bless!!!
20YrsTOS is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote