View Single Post
Old 09-22-2015, 03:32 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Unhappy Questions about the pump

Hello,
I only just now saw your posts about this pump. Do you know if a person can have a spinal cord stimulator, and still get a pump? By the way, you mention scs - is that short for spinal cord stimulator? I have a spinal cord stimulator, and it is targeted for my lower half. I now have an upper body flare (in my shoulders) and can barely do anything with my arms. I can only feed myself, dress myself, and do basic hygiene. I can't drive, cook, clean, do laundry, or much else. It's so awful not being able to take my kids anywhere! I've been like this for 5 months, with no improvement, unable to do PT. Thank God for my almost 13-year-old twins (girls) and my husband. How invasive is the procedure to put in the pump? Were you sedated, and did you have to stay overnight in the hospital? Does the pump stick out, or need to have batteries charged, or anything like that? Oh, I also have been in a wheelchair for 12 years, and I'm thinking maybe a pump would help with my lower half as well. I would like to be able to use my arms again, and walk, and not be a useless blob. Thanks for your help. Gigi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostmary View Post
Debbie,

The pump delivers your pain meds, via cathier, to the spinal fluid. THe amt of meds delivered is abt 1/300 of your reg. meds. As it goes right into the spinal fluid, it doesn't effect the rest of your body and organs. As it in the fluid, basically, (and this is a really simple analogy), what happens are that the inflamed nerves are coated by the meds and there isn't enough to touch the uninflamed nerves. That way, it bypasses the rest of the body. I'm in love with it. I'm taking Perc for the surgical pain, but I took my last pain pill (Opana 30mg ER) the night before surgery. nothing orally since then. No withdrawal from not taking oral meds. Amazing. THey usually start with morphine in the pump, but During the trial, we discovered I was allergic to it. Do they moved me to Diluidad, which has no effect on me at all. Nothing..THere is a resivoir that is placed under your skin, (mine is in my back), and they do have to refill it with meds. Mine will get its first refill in May. they do that my inserting a steril needle into the resivoir, withdrawing the old meds, measuring the amt removed, and then using another needle, add the new meds. I can ride my horses again, after I heal. lol
I had the scs, infact, 2. They caused my rsd to spread. Now if it does spread the pump takes care of it. As the nerves become affects by rsd, the meds are in the spinal fluid to take care of it. How great is that? lol.
The recovery has been fine, no major problems or pain. You may have to look for a dr to do it tho. I have found one in another state. Its a 3 hr drive on way. but it is worth it. Now this dr and his staff are going to be together for quite a long long time. unlike the scs where after surgery the dr hands you over to a company rep who takes over the scs. I like my dr. taking care of me. If you want more info, pm me and I'll give you more info.

Hugs
Mary
gigisteyer is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote